Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'06 silverado 1500 torque converter trouble! need advice!

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2013, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 silverado 1500 torque converter trouble! need advice!

Hey everybody!

I'm new to the forum, so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot... Anyway I'm going to explain my problem and maybe somebody will know whats going on. When I'm driving my truck (v6 automatic 1500) at highway speeds between 45 and 65+, when the torque converter kicks in, it keeps turning on and off, it makes the engine sound like it's revving a few hundred rpms and then dropping back down. It keep doing this as long as I'm traveling between those speeds. I talked to a transmission shop over the phone and he said I needed a full torque converter/transmission rebuild which he quote $1500.00 to do... I'm just wondering if someone else has had this problem and maybe there's another solution? Also the guy that had it before me added a cold air intake (k&n) and a straight pipe dual exhaust so it sounds really good but also makes the engine fluctuation noise louder. Maybe the addition of the new intake and pipes has thrown something off? If anybody has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it! I'm 18 and as I don't have a lot of money I'm trying to make sure there isn't another option before I do a rebuild. Thanks a million!

Cody

Last edited by flyboy94; April 16th, 2013 at 1:46 PM.
Old April 16th, 2013, 1:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Scratching my head, V6 manual?
Old April 16th, 2013, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

oops! I meant automatic sorry
Old April 16th, 2013, 1:47 PM
CF Monarch

Does this have the tow/haul switch? Is it a six speed?
Old April 16th, 2013, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Does this have the tow/haul switch? Is it a six speed?
yes it does have the tow/haul switch, and it is a six speed I believe.
Old April 16th, 2013, 1:57 PM
CF Monarch

The torque converter dosen't "kick in" it is a centrigual pump. I suspect either you have tow/haul switch in, or a shift solenoid issue. How many miles, and what kind of life?
Old April 16th, 2013, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

The torque converter dosen't "kick in" it is a centrigual pump. I suspect either you have tow/haul switch in, or a shift solenoid issue. How many miles, and what kind of life?
ok thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure on that I just assumed that's what it did. What do you mean by a tow/haul switch "in"? it has 174K on it and virtually all highway miles as far as I know.
Old April 16th, 2013, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for your quick replies btw!
Old April 16th, 2013, 2:37 PM
CF Monarch

Look at the gear shift end, it will say tow/haul, also the switch will be a pushbutton on the end of the gear shift. Not familiar with a 6 other than a manual tranny. I don't suspect it is major, but it shouldn't be shifting. What tow/haul does is keep the tranny from shifting at different shift speeds, in other words it changes the tranny shift points when you select it if you are towing something.
Old April 16th, 2013, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Look at the gear shift end, it will say tow/haul, also the switch will be a pushbutton on the end of the gear shift. Not familiar with a 6 other than a manual tranny. I don't suspect it is major, but it shouldn't be shifting. What tow/haul does is keep the tranny from shifting at different shift speeds, in other words it changes the tranny shift points when you select it if you are towing something.
ok I will check that out thanks a lot!!

Quick Reply: '06 silverado 1500 torque converter trouble! need advice!