Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

07 rear end howl

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 rear end howl

I have an 07 Classic 1500 Z71 that has developed a rer end howl. Dealer replaced rear end some time ago, last year I believed and has been fine till a couple weeks ago. I put the truck up on the rack this weekend and verified it was coming from the rear end. Everything feels tight and there are no visible leaks. Of note I did add nearly 1 qt of rear end lube last week to top it off and the noise did not change. Not sure if dealer did not put enough in or if it is dissapperaing somewhere else. Any ideas on what is wrong? Any additives that could be added to quieten it down?
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If you had to add a quart to it, ouch. I'd pull the cover off, drain it, and look at the gear wear.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 6:15 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep,

She's burnt up being that low on oil (howl confirms it). You'll probably find a leaky axle seal.

Allan
Old July 24th, 2012, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Called the dealership yesterday. Service Mgr said was likely a bearing. Said that being a quart low wouldn't hurt it! I'm dropping it off there tomorrow and will let him tear into it and tell me what he thinks. I told him I thought that they had either not put enough oil in it when they rebuilt it or had set it up wrong and the gears had worn wrong causing the howl.

Allan, I can't find a leak anywhere on the rearend. I know this doesnt mean that there isnt one but there is nothing apparent.
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by landem
I have an 07 Classic 1500 Z71 that has developed a rer end howl. Dealer replaced rear end some time ago, last year I believed and has been fine till a couple weeks ago. I put the truck up on the rack this weekend and verified it was coming from the rear end. Everything feels tight and there are no visible leaks. Of note I did add nearly 1 qt of rear end lube last week to top it off and the noise did not change. Not sure if dealer did not put enough in or if it is dissapperaing somewhere else. Any ideas on what is wrong? Any additives that could be added to quieten it down?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Please keep us posted of the result of your dealer visit.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:22 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't think that diff holds quite 2 qts. So, if it where 1 qt. low thats 50% low. I hope it is a bearing as that would be the cheaper fix.