Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

07 silverado battery light

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2013, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 silverado battery light

A couple of weeks ago I attempted to jump start a coworkers truck from mine. I connected the batteries directly to each other and he started his truck. His truck died and would not idle and we gave up. Two days later my battery light came on, my battery is 2 months old. I replaced the battery and 2 days later the light came on again. Did I screw up my voltage regulator in my alternator?
Old September 24th, 2013, 5:33 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

dontony,

That was very nice of you to assist your coworker but sorry to hear you now have a concern with your battery. If you are interested in having your GM dealership look into this please let me know. You can reach out to us via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 24th, 2013, 7:53 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dontony
A couple of weeks ago I attempted to jump start a coworkers truck from mine. I connected the batteries directly to each other and he started his truck. His truck died and would not idle and we gave up. Two days later my battery light came on, my battery is 2 months old. I replaced the battery and 2 days later the light came on again. Did I screw up my voltage regulator in my alternator?
That would be my guess... if his alternator or charging system was shorted out it could have very well have done the same thing to yours...
Might try having the alternator load tested, but do check all of your fuses to make sure its not as simple as a fuse..
Old September 24th, 2013, 8:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Put a volt meter on the battery with the engine running and see if the reading is at 14 volts. If it is around 12 volts, the alternator is not charging.
Old September 25th, 2013, 6:19 AM
CF Beginner

At start up, the gauge in the truck shows about 15 volts, and if I drive a while it goes to 14. The autozone tech put a portable tester on the truck and said the alternator and starter were good. I will start looking at fuses today. Thanks for the replies.
Old September 25th, 2013, 7:20 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Please do keep us posted on what you find
Old September 25th, 2013, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

With the truck off I have 12.45 volts at the battery. After start up, I am getting 14.25 volts. Any suggestions on which fuses or relays to check, or pull and check them all?
Old September 25th, 2013, 9:20 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The battery light is really an alternator light. It comes on when the truck does not see charging voltage. Some alternators start to fail when they are warm. You need to have the alternator tested while the battery light is on as that is the only time what ever is failing is bad for now.
Old September 26th, 2013, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Well, it wasn't the 180 dollar starter. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.....
Old September 26th, 2013, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

I mean it wasn't the 180 dollar alternator, not starter.

Quick Reply: 07 silverado battery light