Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1982 Chevrolet Scottsdale..Cranks but wont start?!

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2010, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 Chevrolet Scottsdale..Cranks but wont start?!

Ok I bought this truck a few weeks ago and at first it had a transmission problem. I fixed that then the other day i turned my radio on and it started cutting out so i hit the dash a few times,next thing i know the truck sputters then shuts off a few seconds later. Any ideas? What could be in the dash that i could have knocked loose? or potentially broke?
Old September 24th, 2010, 9:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the Ignition switch on the stearing collum, it could have come unplugged??? pull the positive wire off of the battery, connect a fuse protected Multi meter between the battery and the cable, set on DC volts. start pulling fuses one at a time, checking the meter after each one. If after all are out and you still have a voltage reading over 8 volts you have a short somewhere. likewise for the rest of you out there reinstall one fuse at a time checking your meter when it jumps 8 volts or more you have an extream draw on that circuite and need to check the wiring diagram for whats on that fuse. generally it is an amp or head unitS memory.

short of a blown fuse or fusable link, it has to be a loose plug or wire