Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   1985 K10 with fast idle and violent shut off (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/1985-k10-fast-idle-violent-shut-off-53435/)

Ryguy316 October 1st, 2012 12:23 PM

1985 K10 with fast idle and violent shut off

Hey guys I have a 1985 K10 with a 350 crate engine, new distributer, and edelbrock intake and carb. It has a good idle in drive and reverse but when I shift to park our neutral, the idle gets really fast. Then when I shut it off the truck shakes and does weird stuff. Here's a link:

Do anyone know what's wrong/how to fix this?

Thanks
-Ryan

kevinkpk October 1st, 2012 12:31 PM

What octane gas? What is the idle timming advance set to?

Ryguy316 October 1st, 2012 1:03 PM

87 octane I think for regular at Shell. I'm not sure what the timing is, the truck ran fine before but it just recently started doing this

kevinkpk October 1st, 2012 1:21 PM

I would set the timming at 10-12 btdc at 750 rpm. Dieseling is usually either gas, or too far advanced timming. Is it slow to crank when starting?

Ryguy316 October 1st, 2012 3:05 PM

no its not slow, how would i set that that timing?

kevinkpk October 1st, 2012 3:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ryguy316 (Post 228157)
no its not slow, how would i set that that timing?

You'll need a timing light. Take it to a shop, this shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. Looking at that high rise with I dunno what cfm carb? If it's more than a 650 or so, on a 350 sbc, I'd suggest at least a 93 octane.

Ryguy316 October 1st, 2012 3:49 PM

ok cool, and the carb is a 600cfm. would changing the timing fix a clicking that i hear from the distributer also?

kevinkpk October 1st, 2012 4:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ryguy316 (Post 228160)
ok cool, and the carb is a 600cfm. would changing the timing fix a clicking that i hear from the distributer also?

Thats an hei, clicking could be part of your problem. Can you do another you tube on it? Clicking in a point distributor could be spring or advance base plate, however that shouldn't case dieseling on shut off, that again is fuel, or timming. 600 cfm is fine for a street runner on a 350, however what cam is in it? If you have a long duration cam that could also point to higher octane to keep it from desieling, but with a standard build 87 (good gas) should be ok. My 455 likes higher octane but standard 455 it uses 87 also.

Ryguy316 October 4th, 2012 6:01 PM

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 228163)
Thats an hei, clicking could be part of your problem. Can you do another you tube on it? Clicking in a point distributor could be spring or advance base plate, however that shouldn't case dieseling on shut off, that again is fuel, or timming. 600 cfm is fine for a street runner on a 350, however what cam is in it? If you have a long duration cam that could also point to higher octane to keep it from desieling, but with a standard build 87 (good gas) should be ok. My 455 likes higher octane but standard 455 it uses 87 also.

Ok so i got a timing gun and the timing was too far advanced. I set the timing to 12 btdc, however this didn't fix the problem. My truck still idles unbearably fast and still "diesels" when i shut it off. However, when it is idling high, i can STOMP on the engine for a split second and when it goes back to idle, its a nice average idle. So could this have to do with the carburetor and the (wow the word for it is fleeting me) "gas wire" that connects the pedal to the carb?

kevinkpk October 4th, 2012 6:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ryguy316 (Post 228449)
Ok so i got a timing gun and the timing was too far advanced. I set the timing to 12 btdc, however this didn't fix the problem. My truck still idles unbearably fast and still "diesels" when i shut it off. However, when it is idling high, i can STOMP on the engine for a split second and when it goes back to idle, its a nice average idle. So could this have to do with the carburetor and the (wow the word for it is fleeting me) "gas wire" that connects the pedal to the carb?

Typical problem with the fast idle on the carb, stomp the foot feed once, when the engine gets to idle, then shut it off.