Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1988 GMC 3500 3+3 Dually 454 c.i.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 7:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 GMC 3500 3+3 Dually 454 c.i.

ok .. I decided to ask you guys first ... I found a 1988 GMC 3500 3+3 Dually 454 c.i. and the womans husband passed away a few years back ... she knows virtually nothing about the truck .. I went to check it out and was able to turn it over and I cant tell if its out of gas or needs a fuel pump(s) ... when you pour starting fluid (or in my case - Gasoline) down the throttle body it stays on till it runs out ... also this truck is about a 3 hour drive away from me and it would be costly to bring it home ... NOW , do you guys think $700 would be worth it ?? ( I said she knew virtually nothing about this truck ) .. the body is in excellent condition, a few paint chips and 1 dent on the door ... all the power options still work, the lights are not cracked, bed is Immaculate and so on ... I'm just undecided about whether or not to buy ... Please Help !!!
Old April 22nd, 2010, 9:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi SILVERADO1,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Do you have a specific usage in mind for this truck? What's the mileage?

If you're ready to deal with the @5MPG- in fuel economy, I'd say whatever's wrong with the fuel delivery problem right now is relatively minor, by comparison...

How are the tires? (Six to a set+ the spare, on this one, not to mention that on that type of truck they're probably E-rated, which is @ 210$ per tire) What's the mileage? Is the engine or tranny leaking bad enough you can see it at a glance under the truck?

IMO, the 700$ is hardly the issue if you really want, or have a set purpose for this brawny magilla. But, IMO, it's merely where your expenses are going to start.

Last edited by therewolf; April 22nd, 2010 at 9:43 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therewolf
Hi SILVERADO1,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Do you have a specific usage in mind for this truck? What's the mileage?

If you're ready to deal with the @5MPG- in fuel economy, I'd say whatever's wrong with the fuel delivery problem right now is relatively minor, by comparison...

How are the tires? (Six to a set+ the spare, on this one, not to mention that on that type of truck they're probably E-rated, which is @ 210$ per tire) What's the mileage? Is the engine or tranny leaking bad enough you can see it at a glance under the truck?

IMO, the 700$ is hardly the issue if you really want, or have a set purpose for this brawny magilla. But, IMO, it's merely where your expenses are going to start.
I was really set on a diesel ... but this almost seems like one of those tales where "the old man passes and the wife dosent know the worth of his car" kinda deals ... I see this as a profit for myself - after of course I get some fun out of it ..
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen this from the other side before.

Doesn't it seem a little fishy to you that this woman who apparently "knows nothing" about this vehicle is so willing to part with it so cheaply? (And no doubt since it's "as is", isn't she also absolved of any and all issues arising after she foists the truck off on an unaware buyer?) Ooh, let me guess, her husband didn't ever bring up the general or specific condition of his pride and joy to his wife of HOW MANY years? She apparently never rode in the truck much, either. How singularly peculiar, for a married couple. I know the condition of my mother's car, also my daughter's car. Also my Ex-wife of ten years, who now lives 4 states away. But she's blissfully ignorant of her husband's truck. I guess that's OK, if you simply believe her, for some odd reason.

It would seem to me that if she truly "knew nothing " about the truck, she'd want more for it based on the overall appearance and condition.

I'd find out more about this truck before proceeding. Maybe have a mechanic look at it next. He could tip you to problems you're not aware of , or verify it's good condition.

OTOH,it's been my sad experience that while "innocent little old ladies" may be little and old, when push comes to shove, they can be a far cry from innocent, or for that matter, ladies.

But we digress egregiously. Let's play Devil's Advocate for a moment. Say you pay the money, fix the ECM or fuel pump, and this vehicle is now running faultlessly, and yours for about 800$, plus reggie and insurance, title and tags. What were you going to use it for? Were you going to use it for towing a boat, or something? It's a 23 year old truck. What guarantee do you have you'd find a buyer for it later, let alone sell it for more than you bought it?

Last edited by therewolf; April 22nd, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 3:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Therewolf has good and valid points.

But 700 bucks for a decent looking, fully loaded 3+3 is not a bad deal, in my opinion. Personally, I would buy that, but, I would have a use for it.
If it's 4wd, you can part it out for more than 700 easy. A lot of people are out there looking for the front axle to slap under an IFS truck.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 9:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah that, nauticastar.

The parts market, given a little patience, could be lucrative, OP.

Bear in mind I'm not specifically telling you not to buy the truck. I'm just trying to show you the other side of the coin.

Admittedly, heavy duty trucks are a major hoot.