Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

1990 Silverado Wiper Problem

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruce,

That's Yankee ingenuity, man. Way to go.

Haner
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an old problem with 88 to 98 trucks.It's an easy fix. Remove the pulse module, and resolder the points where the harness connectors attach to the module. Age, temperature swings, and vibration cause the solder joints to fail. You will NOT be able to see these cracks with the naked eye. This is a link to another site which shows this repair in far more detail; 1995 wiper switch change - ChevyTalk --The Social Network for Chevy Fans
Good Luck, Mark
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my wipers working intermittently. I going to have to try that dielectric grease. I've been looking for a solution to that, the wipers stopping how they do and only going at one speed is so annoying. Any other ideas?
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Sorry, Crusher9, that you have this problem. My wiper system continues to work well after applying the dielectric grease. It's been a long time and the initial application still works! Give it a try, and if it doesn't work for you, go back into this thread and read the instructions on how to replace the module and wiper motor with a later model.

Good luck!

Haner
Old August 17th, 2014, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default How I Repaired this Board

My Truck is a 1988 C-1500
Remove the board from the housing.
Mine has a relay with contacts like the old style Distributer Points.
Take a nail file, it is TOO thick so you will need to place it on rough cement and put pressure on the top of it and drag it across the cement to make it thinner.
I used two of these, so basically 4 sides to use.
Shove the nail file in between the contacts a few times, remove, flip 180 shove in a few times. Then repeat for the other set of contacts.
Make sure they look shinny. If not just repeat.
I then did the same thing on the Motor side contacts.
Coat with di-electric grease (The connectors, not the relay aka:Points).
Good to go!
Took about 30 min tops.
Reply back to this thread if this helped you or if you found another way to fix this.

Last edited by ChipHead; August 19th, 2014 at 5:21 AM. Reason: fhl69: Found a contextual error, Fixed
Old August 18th, 2014, 7:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ChipHead
My Truck is a 1988 C-1500
Remove the board from the housing.
Mine has a relay with contacts like the old style Distributer Points.
Take a nail file, it is TOO thick so you will need to place it on rough cement and put pressure on the top of it and drag it across the cement to make it thinner.
I used two of these, so basically 4 sides to use.
Shove the nail file in between the contacts a few times, remove, flip 180 shove in a few times. Then repeat for the other set of contacts.
Make sure they look shinny. If not just repeat.
I then did the same thing on the Motor side contacts.
Coat with di-electric grease.
Good to go!
Took about 30 min tops.
Reply back to this thread if this helped you or if you found another way to fix this.
Did you actually put the di-electric grease on the points?
Old August 20th, 2014, 6:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Update from Haner

Just wanted to let everyone know that since applying the dielectric grease all those years ago, my wipers are still going strong. Thanks for all the continued updates and optional procedures, too! It's cool to have other options for those of us who refuse to give up on our old trucks!

Haner
Old January 22nd, 2015, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Uuugghhhh!!!

Haner, I found myself at this forum pulling my hair out over my 1990 Chevy K-1500 wiper pulse board module!! After 24 years my wipers decided not to turn off anymore. They work in all settings, but when I turn off they stay stuck in 16 delay. Driving me crazy. I too went to the auto parts store and got the part that said fitted my truck (C-type). Nope!! I have exactly the same as you describe and from the pictures you included. Can not find a replacement anywhere. Doesn't even show it as existed and being discontinued. There are now 3 of us on the planet with that type. My only guess is that it was a recalled part and replaced and now it's not made anymore. The replacement part is what keeps showing up on all my searches. (It's more of a quest now!) I will try the dielectric grease and cross my fingers. Soldering connections is a little beyond my skill set. If that don't work then I guess I'll have to splurge on the whole replacement deal. I have a long road trip ahead first so will just pull the fuse for now. It's annoying not to mention looks stupid to be driving all day with the wipers on! I will let you know how it goes! Thank you sir. Dave.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fyi

This is not my truck but is same engine interior. My wiper motor/module is like this, not the 'c-type'. (Another person with this mysterious gadget? Four of us now?)
Attached Thumbnails 1990 Silverado Wiper Problem-100_1585.jpg  
Old January 23rd, 2015, 7:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by dene67
This is not my truck but is same engine interior. My wiper motor/module is like this, not the 'c-type'. (Another person with this mysterious gadget? Four of us now?)
Good luck. I tried the grease & also the soldering. I never could get mine to work right. I ended up going to NAPA & bought a new wiper motor for a 1991. It came with the new style module. It was less than
$100. They also had a motor for a 1990 but it took the old style module which nobody has. If you go with a new one, make sure it is for a 1991 or later. Was not a real big job switching them out.

Quick Reply: 1990 Silverado Wiper Problem