Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-sierra-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   1992 Silverado - No Dash or parking/running lights (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-sierra-fullsize-pick-ups-21/1992-silverado-no-dash-parking-running-lights-13580/)

rjsasaoka February 18th, 2008 11:38 PM

1992 Silverado - No Dash or parking/running lights

I just recently purchased a used (in very good condition) '92 Silverado Ext. Cab. I have brake lights, 1 headlight (till I can replace the bulb) but no lights on the instrument panel and no parking/running lights. Also, just in case this might help, the radio and EQ/Tape player was removed prior. I checked the fuse and it looks good, I do have turn signals.

northey87 February 19th, 2008 8:52 AM

RE: 1992 Silverado - No Dash or parking/running lights

Welcome to the forum!!! It sounds like the head light switch may have gone bad.

rjsasaoka February 19th, 2008 9:49 AM

Would it still be a faulty head light switch if the headlight still turns on?

northey87 February 19th, 2008 10:12 AM

Well the one thing that the parking/DRL and the dash lights have in common is the headlight switch. If I remember correctly the one in your year of truck has two switches, parking and headlights. The parking switch is probably faulty, but you would have to replace the unit. The switch that controls the parking lights also controll the dash lights, that would be why you have headlights but no parking or dash lights.

rjsasaoka February 19th, 2008 12:17 PM

Thank you!! This will help me greatly and get my truck back on the road and be able to get rid of my old car sooner. For now, till I can get that switch replaced, I have to use my old car...

northey87 February 19th, 2008 12:33 PM

The unit should not be that much, about $20-$25. LMC has them listed for $19.95, your localparts store should be about the same price. And shouldn't take more the 20 min to install yourself.

rjsasaoka February 20th, 2008 9:25 PM

I was able to find the part at Autozone for $11.99 plus tax. It was a fairly easy replacement as you said but it still didn't give me the instrument panel and parking/running lights. I got the headlight bulb replaced and got both headlights working now.

Any other suggestions as to getting those lights working?

northey87 February 20th, 2008 9:39 PM

Maybe there is a bad wire or a bad connection somewhere. I'm running out of ideas. Electrical problems are sometimes worst to figure out than mechanical problems.

rjsasaoka February 20th, 2008 11:13 PM

Could having a trailer hitch installed also cause the problem? When I bought it it already had the hitch with the wire harness.

rjsasaoka February 20th, 2008 11:51 PM

I was looking up parts and found a relay for the parking lamps. I'm going to see if I pick one up and replace the one I have to see if that will get my parking/running lights back.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to drive at night, but by the time I get done with work, it's dark out and I get a bit worried not having those lights, not only that in MN, it's required (I believe it's the same in all states). If that doesn't work, I'll have to take it in to a repair shop to have them figure it out. If I do, I would prefer a Chevy shop and not the "generic" repair shops... or does it make a difference?