Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1993 Chevy K-1500 won't start -- Won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2013, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Chevy K-1500 won't start -- Won't turn over

Hey all, first post here on the forums, and really looking forward to getting involved.

Topic at hand is my 1993 K-1500. It's a 4.3L with the five speed manual. I am just finishing up an engine replacement, and after installing everything back to normal, the truck is not starting. The batter is fully charged, yet when I turn the key it sounds like the starter is engaging, but not turning the engine over. I know the engine is not stuck or seized as I turned it over several times by hand before installing it into the truck.

One thing I'm thinking might be causing it is that the clutch is not working yet, thinking it might be a bad master cylinder or I just didn't bleed the slave properly, and this combined with what may be a weak starter is just enough to keep the engine from turning over? Is that possible?

The starter worked fine on the previous engine which was also a 4.3liter.

I'm going to continue diagnosing throughout the day, but any advice is appreciated.
Old November 14th, 2013, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, so I've done a little more work on it.

I tested the battery and am getting good readings there. Pulled the radiator and fan shroud and turned the engine over by hand, was turning easy.

Tried hitting the starter with a rubber mallet while trying to turn the truck over. This yielded an increased number of clicks from the solenoid, before it was only clicking once on the initial engage.

I've pulled the spark plugs to make turning easier, and I'm still getting nothing. Have the starter off, and the positive lead from the battery is a little frayed, but I can't imagine it being enough to keep it from getting a good current.

Kind of at a loss. Like I said starter worked fine on previous engine so i can't imagine that it somehow went bad during the swap. Does anyone know if there is some integral difference between 1993 and 1994 4.3L that would keep it from working?
Old November 14th, 2013, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, stand down everybody, stand down.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry, but after many hours of diagnosing, I realized I had neglected to hook up the negative battery cable to the engine after installing it... So, engine is turning over fine now. Whether it starts or not, remains to be seen.
Old November 13th, 2015, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ZChevyAK
Ok, stand down everybody, stand down.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry, but after many hours of diagnosing, I realized I had neglected to hook up the negative battery cable to the engine after installing it... So, engine is turning over fine now. Whether it starts or not, remains to be seen.
Did it start up for you? Those 4.3 motors are great! The 96'+ have vortec heads and the 95 and lower have the D shaped combustion chamber. These are really fun to upgrade with all the engine mods they make for the TBI injection opposed to the newer CPI (central port injection) which I hate!! It requires a scan tool to set ignition timing. You have a great motor there!!