Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1993 Silverado New 5.7 V8 has fuel and spark but Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2014, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Silverado New 5.7 V8 has fuel and spark but Won't Start

Just bought a new engine from JEGS because the old one would not start and had over 300k miles on it . The new engine is the exact same engine as the original.

Installed engine and everything is hooked up correctly

Performed the following to try to get it started:
1. Set timing manually multiple times, removed spark plug from cylinder 1 put finger over hole and had someone slowly crank the engine until air blew out the hole. I then inserted a straw and manually turned the engine clockwise until the piston was fully up and the timing Mark was at TDC.
2. Installed the new distributor (including new ignition module) pointing at approximately 5 o'clock and in the general direction of cylinder 1.
3. Installed cap and ensured the distributor was pointer at the terminal for cylinder 1.
4. Replaced coil, thought this might be the issue.
5. Verified the two injectors (TBI) are squirting fuel.
6. Reinstalled the plug for cylinder 1.
7. I verified there is spark at each spark plug by removing them and grounding them to the engine.
8. Tried to retard and advance the rotor slightly while someone cranked the engine, no luck.

After all this the truck still won't start. When I try to start it the engine randomly shoots air out the TB but it never starts. If I push the gas while cranking fire shoots out the TB, assumes that's not good . I am positive the timing chain is good and that all the spark plug wires are installed in the correct order on both ends.

At this point I need all the help I can get and am open to try anything.
Old February 17th, 2014, 8:33 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

try putting the air cleaner on or puting your hand over the TBI, ik when im servicing my 350 and i don't do that it dosnt run correctly
Old February 18th, 2014, 8:41 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Sounds like a timing issue. Just to be sure try resetting the distributor 180 degrees. See if it will start. It can't hurt and you can always reset it to where you had it if it doesn't work.
Old February 18th, 2014, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Sounds like a timing issue. Just to be sure try resetting the distributor 180 degrees. See if it will start. It can't hurt and you can always reset it to where you had it if it doesn't work.
Thanks, I will try both of these tonight and let you know if I have any luck
Old February 18th, 2014, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Ok gents I got it running, hooray. I turned the dizzy 180 degrees and put the air filter on, still no start. Reset it to TDC still no start. Turned the dizzy 180 deg again and while doing so my son realized the little button on top of the rotor was cracked and therefor was spinning when the rotor turned. Put the old button (from original rotor) back on and reinstalled everything. Cranked right over and fired up!!! Thanks to all, now I just need to break her in properly and adjust the rockers.
Old February 18th, 2014, 7:20 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Congrats on the new motor hope it runs ya 200,000 long miles