Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1994 Silverado 4l60E Lost forward gears today

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2016, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just completely rebuilt the transmission and i am still having the same problem my reverse works great but none of my drive gears work. Can anyone help me please.

Last edited by Franklin Morris; May 19th, 2016 at 7:42 PM. Reason: didnt finish
Old May 20th, 2016, 7:46 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low-reverse Sprague or reverse input shell

Allan
Old March 1st, 2020, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default Did you ever find out what was wrong with it my brother has a 1993 k 1500 did that

Originally Posted by Thundernuts
New to the forum, but not to cars. My sister drives a 1994 silverado with a 5.78 liter and a 4l60e trans. Today while she was driving it, she said it made a kinda "clunk" noise and it felt like it was slowing down(I gathered later this was the feel of the car slipping out of gear) and then the truck would no longer drive. She was doing 45 mph at a steady cruise when it happened. The truck has given no signs of trans issues before, it has 184k miles on it and the fluid looks nice and red..as maintenance has always been kept up on it. I pushed the truck home using my car, and when we got it in the drive way, I verified that the truck has no forward gears, (whether in drive or manually through the d D 2 1) but DOES have reverse, and it works perfect, but only reverse.

I am not afraid to rebuild a trans as I have done about 3 in the past..but I can't find anywhere on the net where this problem has occured. I can find all day where reverse is out or they have some forward gears..but not where they have reverse and NO forward gears. Can anyone out there tell me what I should expect when I tear into the Trans? basic rebuild kit doesn't sound like it will be enough to fix it..I am thinking I broke a shaft or something...any help is much appreciated. thanks in advance
Did you ever find out what was wrong with it my brother has a 1993 k 1500 did that
Old April 24th, 2022, 3:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Thundernuts
New to the forum, but not to cars. My sister drives a 1994 silverado with a 5.78 liter and a 4l60e trans. Today while she was driving it, she said it made a kinda "clunk" noise and it felt like it was slowing down(I gathered later this was the feel of the car slipping out of gear) and then the truck would no longer drive. She was doing 45 mph at a steady cruise when it happened. The truck has given no signs of trans issues before, it has 184k miles on it and the fluid looks nice and red..as maintenance has always been kept up on it. I pushed the truck home using my car, and when we got it in the drive way, I verified that the truck has no forward gears, (whether in drive or manually through the d D 2 1) but DOES have reverse, and it works perfect, but only reverse.

I am not afraid to rebuild a trans as I have done about 3 in the past..but I can't find anywhere on the net where this problem has occured. I can find all day where reverse is out or they have some forward gears..but not where they have reverse and NO forward gears. Can anyone out there tell me what I should expect when I tear into the Trans? basic rebuild kit doesn't sound like it will be enough to fix it..I am thinking I broke a shaft or something...any help is much appreciated. thanks in advance
I have the same problem I have a 94 c1500 4l60e automatic transmission at first my reverse wouldn’t engage then when it finally did I slowly backed up and heard a strange noise(clunky noise from under truck) I stopped left it in park later on in the day I got in to head home hoping nothing happened to my transmission and I made it home no problems little time passes and I started having issues with D and one day it just went out all together I put it in reverse and managed to make it back home reversing it’s been some time and I haven’t been able to find or figure out a fix to the problem I turned on my truck the other day and hoped for something but no luck still no D no 1 or 2 but R and neutral seem to work just fine if anyone has an answer I’d gladly love to hear it or even maybe some ideas as to what is wrong