Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 chevy 1500 truck wont shut off

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2013, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 chevy 1500 truck wont shut off

Ok i recently pur a used motor in my truck but when i hooked the battery back up everything turned on like the key was turned on but the switch was off and when i started it i could out shut it off so i just put in a battery cut off switch but now my truck wont start i can get too start by mashing the gas but i have to keep hitting the gas till it smooth out but it acts like it skipping but i just put new spark plugs and rotor but it did help

Last edited by chevy350ga; September 4th, 2013 at 9:14 PM.
Old September 4th, 2013, 9:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

The engine is wired incorrectly.
Old September 5th, 2013, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
The engine is wired incorrectly.
Well I've had 3or4 guy look at it even looked at another trucks to c if it was wrong but everthing is were it need to be
Old June 18th, 2015, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

I'm having the same issue after pulling my 5.7L to replace some seals. When I hooked up the battery, lights came on in the dash. Started ran good, then turned the key off and kept running. Mine is a stick I just stalled it out and disconnected the battery. Where did you find the wiring problem at? I would appreciate and guidance.
Old June 21st, 2015, 1:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy350ga
Ok i recently pur a used motor in my truck but when i hooked the battery back up everything turned on like the key was turned on but the switch was off and when i started it i could out shut it off so i just put in a battery cut off switch but now my truck wont start i can get too start by mashing the gas but i have to keep hitting the gas till it smooth out but it acts like it skipping but i just put new spark plugs and rotor but it did help
First, try a little grammar and punctuation....so we old timers can tell what you're asking. You have 12V directly connected to the ignition system somewhere downstream of the ignition switch. You'll need a test light or a multimeter to find the problem. A wiring diagram will help a lot, too. Don't count on wire colors...some previous owner may have done some creative wiring. Fix the ignition problem first, then worry about the running/starting problem. They may be related.

Last edited by meternerd; June 21st, 2015 at 1:35 PM.
Old June 21st, 2015, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, I was able to fix my no shut off issue. I found the fuse box on the driver side fender, opened it up. Pulled fuses and fount 2 that stopped the power from getting to the coil. 20A Eng and 20A horn. I disconnected the battery pulled the 2 fuses. Reconnected the battery while fuses were out and I heard a click, like a relay in the fuse box resetting. I reinstalled the fuses and problem was fixed.