Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1995 Chevy Truck V8 350, general questions

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Chevy Truck V8 350, general questions

Hi, first time poster here, just thought I might be able to get some straight answers from some neutral people.

My girlfriend is considering purchasing a 1995 Chevy Cheyenne with a 350 V8 for around $5k with 71,000 miles on it. The truck is in good condition and according to carfax has only had one previous owner. It was purchased at an auction and is currently being sold by car salesman that operates out of his home.

My concerns lie in future problems. Do these vehicles run into problems at certain points in their lives? Not sure if the starter is going to go out tomorrow or what. If you guys or gals can give me any ideas on what to expect in the future I would greatly appreciate it.
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off welcome to the forum its god to have you here!!

I have had my 1995 chevy pickup woth a 5.7 litre 350 for three years now and I love it!! The only problem I have had with it is a leaky intake manifold gasket. This was after 200,000 miles though!! You should love the vehicle. Now if the starter does go out good news!! They are not to pricey and it is an easy fix! Two bolts and disconnest the wiring and its off! And you can get one with a lifetime warranty! Any other questions let me know, and stop by the new member welcome area and introduce yourself if you would!
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:53 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

It has one big serious problem... speedlimits.
Its like meditating behind the wheel when driving one of those. You're so relaxed and calm that you keep the foot going lower and lower. and because of the higher view you dont notice that you're going too fast and then FLASH !!! you're busted.
But I'm not sure if thats a general problem or more of a personal matter though.
Old May 26th, 2009, 4:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the forums!

The last two posters said a lot, let me just add that these are pretty tough vehicles,you have a great view of traffic, and they are easy to buy parts for because they're so popular.

IMO, great bang for the buck,er, truck!
Old May 26th, 2009, 5:02 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 95 with that low of miles would be a good investment, I think you could do a little better on the price. If you could find one 96 or newer you get OBD2 electronics, a Vortex engine with MPI and a good bit more power. Just a thought, I was never happy with the power in my stock 95 Tahoe until I changed the motor at 265,000 miles.
Old May 26th, 2009, 8:22 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Intake very common. Starter and alternator also very common all of which are not to pricey. But the transmission is also a very common failure anywhere after 80,000 miles. I had to put one in my 2000 Tahoe limited ( old body style 5.7) at 88,xxx. I had flushed the trans at-least 2 times since I bought it at 29,000 miles. However there is a risk with any used car. I could name a problem with ever make/model but if I did you may never want to buy one. I would say if the carfax is clean with the mileage that low if you can negotiate the price down some go for it. Did you check blue book on it?
Old May 27th, 2009, 4:23 PM
cb1
CF Junior Member

I have a 95 and love it. It's my daily driver and never fails me (except once) where the electronic module under the distributer went out. It has 268K miles and the only things that I have done to it is:
brakes
electronic module
a/c compressor
intake gasket
That's it.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless its a total wreck on the body you better get it before someone else does, i would love to have a 95, but my 93 keeps chugging along
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:50 PM
CF Active Member

Don't pay full price for it. Haggle a little. The previously mentioned problems are pretty much the only ones that I've seen except for the transmission failure. If that truck has the 4l60e, I haven't had any problems with those. I've had one go 250k and been run the crap out of, and still be good. My current truck had 188k and the transmission is still good.
Old June 20th, 2018, 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1995 standard cab seat swap...07-14 seats

This was the interior done painted it beige/tan
Idk if it be cheaper to get reupholstered in tan or just buy the tan 07-14?

These are the seats I want to put on it...
(Tan for a tan interior)

Hey... I have a 95 standard cab Chevy truck which has the leather seats (tore to crap) and was wondering if anyone here has done a seat swap with 07-14 Silverado/ seats wanting to do the the two bucket and jumper middle seat if anyone has any info or experience on it let me know thanks!!!

Quick Reply: 1995 Chevy Truck V8 350, general questions