Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   1996 Chevy w/bad motor - HOW TO SELL?? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/1996-chevy-w-bad-motor-how-sell-52253/)

Travist349 August 4th, 2012 9:52 PM

1996 Chevy w/bad motor - HOW TO SELL??

Hello all, please help with some advice! Unfortunately, I'm not a "car" guy, and don't have the know-how or skill for making repairs. I inherited my grandfathers farm pick-up when he passed away about 6 years ago. It had 50,000 miles on it then, and now has about 170,000. It's been heavy on repairs in the last year, both in frequency and dollar amount. Most recently, my local shop has told me that it has low compression in 2 of the 8 cylinders - causing misfires. According to them, this could be caused by any number of things and they'd have to be elbow deep in my engine to figure it all out - worse case scenario, replacing the engine entirely. I'm ready to move on, and sell it to someone that's talented enough to repair it themselves, etc. I'm not looking to make a huge buck, but need help with a concept of what to expect out of it. $2000? $1000? Even less? Also, if someone can give me tips on the best outlet to use to move it on to interested parties - that would be very helpful. I really don't want it to just sit on AutoTrader for a year.

The stats are: 1996 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Extended Cab, Long Bed, Vortec V8 5.7L Auto

Allan In NE August 5th, 2012 7:03 AM

Did they say 'low' compression or 'no' compression?

If it's just low, run two bottles of GM Top Engine Cleaner (roughly $26 for two) thru 'er. I've saved more darned engines with that stuff.

Otherwise, you're sittin' on an item that won't sell.

Allan

SImpleManFore August 5th, 2012 7:48 AM

Most People Are Looking For A Daily Driver You Might Be Looking At $500 For the truck to the right person depending on interior and exterior

96 Junk That Moves August 5th, 2012 10:44 AM

Been lookin for a good parts truck but TX is too far for me...just my luck.

Travist349 August 5th, 2012 3:29 PM

Thanks Allan! They said low compression. My neighbor is a Chevy owner and lover, and he helped me run the engine cleaner through it this afternoon. I think it may have done the trick. Do you guys suggest anything else after that though? In my research I've read a few different times that now I may need to change the fuel filter and/or engine oil after using the cleaner. :confused:

JK23112 August 5th, 2012 4:12 PM

Change the engine oil & the filter, of course. Be sure to run a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner (or another good brand) in the gas tank and take that beast out on the highway. Blow the carbon out of it and make sure that she's running good. Keep an eye on all of the fluids (oil, power steering, trans, etc.) and consider getting a new set of spark plugs and wires if need be.

You do have the 5.7L engine, right? 170,000 miles should not be a death warrant if it was cared for properly. Those beasts can last a long time.

SImpleManFore August 5th, 2012 7:33 PM

I Prefer Lucas Deep Fuel Cleaner

spyncycle August 6th, 2012 4:34 PM

If a vehicle is drivable, then it is easily worth $1000, even if the motor needs replacing. If you doubt this, then try to buy anything that can be driven for as little money as possible and see what you find.

Thompson August 20th, 2013 6:15 PM

What's going on?

I was wondering if you are still selling this truck? If so how much do you want for it?