Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1996 Silverado K2500 lost my breaks - Help !!

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2014, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1996 Silverado K2500 lost my breaks - Help !!

Ok, bought this 1996 Silverado K2500 4x4 used, 5.7 liter, I have been bringing it up to as nice a condition that my monthly SSI money will allow me too.
Today was a very bad and scary day for this 64 year old man. I was pulling into a parking lot and I hit my brakes, and the pedal was frozen hard, a growling pump sound was heard under the hood, and my truck and I went over the embankment and centered out teetering. I was able to get it off the embankment and park it.
This growling noise and pedal freeze has been happening just after I bought it, but with a couple taps with the foot it would work fine, until today. I did buy new rotors, pads, sensors, bairing holders but not yet installed them.
I have a feeling it needs something different than those items above.
I am quite shaken over this event today, so any help would be greatly appreciated regarding; "brake pedal freeze up" ie was there a recall on this problem, or "you need to change the ABS pump" or something that gives me hope. I need to be able to drive my truck to survive.
I thank everyone in advance for your care and service.
Forever grateful, Mr. Michael Kelley
North Bend, Oregon 97459
Old June 24th, 2014, 7:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you may have had a false abs activation event. If one of the wheel speed sensor signals falls out, the abs will think one wheel is locking up. The abs pump will activate and open the dump valve, reducing hydraulic pressure to the caliper.

This usually happens at slow speeds. usually, no abs codes set. Removing the abs pump fuse should stop the problem. replacing a bad wss harness will probably fix the problem.
Old June 24th, 2014, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, makes total sense. This issue started when I made a sharp left turn one day. The ABS light comes on a lot, and the pedal freeze up mostly happens when I'm turning slowly to the left. I thank you and will try this idea.
Old June 25th, 2014, 7:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

You should probably check the front wheel bearings to make sure they are not ready to fall out.
Old June 25th, 2014, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Will do, and thanks so much. I did buy new carrier hubs with bearings, but haven't put them in yet.
Old June 27th, 2014, 5:10 AM
CF Beginner

I had this happen to me the other day, was a quiet simple fix on mine. The grommet that goes into the brake booster where the vacuum hose connects had cracked from being an old truck. Was making a real loud hissing sound and my brake pedal was froze stiff. My check that out.
Old June 27th, 2014, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Jacobrook22, I will check that too.
Old June 29th, 2014, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Happened to me once last winter. Check your emergency brake. Engage and disengage.