Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1999 Silverado Power Steering Problem??

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Silverado Power Steering Problem??

Ok this is actually quite a long story but I will sum it up the best i can..! I bought this truck used about 5-6 years ago it only had 64000 miles on it. I bought it from Kenny Ross dealer. It was fine when I pulled it off the lot but then it all went downhill form there! The power steering was VERY hard when turning right. I took it back to the shop and they had it for a week or better after draining lines, etc.. it was all good for a couple days! It came right back, hard when turning right generally but the power steering never felt "good"!! I will just say that for the next 6 months the truck spent more time in there shop then it did at my house for them trying to find the problem!! It never really did get much better and over the years is progressively getting worse then it EVER was!!

I was STUPID..young and dumb for not just trading it back in but they would not deal with me on a decent trade back in, KENNY ROSS sucks!!! Im sorry had to put that out there!!

Anyhow, I have had it to one other shop and they also cannot find why the power steering acts the way it does? I am curious as to if anybody else has any suggestions??

I have learned to live with it but figure it wouldnt hurt to ask!!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 6:50 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replace the steering box. It is the only thing that can make steer hard to one side, as long as all the front end parts are good.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto