Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2000 CHEVY SILVERADO. need advice!

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 CHEVY SILVERADO. need advice!

Hi, This is my first time on here. (:

I'm looking to buy a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2WD V6 and it's at a fair price. The only thing is it has 200K miles on it. This is my first time buying a truck. so Does this truck have alot of life left in it?

Thanks James

heres a pic
http://i50.tinypic.com/2nlenvm.jpg
Old July 2nd, 2010, 3:24 AM
CF Beginner

Welcome chevy_silverado, I'm new to this forum as well, but not new to used vehicles. My buddy has an 2000 GMC Sierra (exact same as silverado) 1500 with the 5.3l and 165k miles, the only issues that he has ever run into with it was; fuel regulator, check engine light on, and service 4wd light on.

To be honest he hardly changes the oil in it, and it seems to be running as strong as it did when he first purchased it with 50k miles. He is extremely rough on it daily and yet still it does it's job down to the T.

Good luck with buying, but if you plan on hauling/towing i'd suggest the v8 5.3l, i've only heard bad things of the v6 (from buddies, not referring to this forum)

Last note, if it has 200k and only 2wd and v6, I would hope the dealer doesn't expect to get more than $6,000 from you, if so than I would pass it up...just my $.02
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

THANKS, my-4x4

Yeah. It's definitely not $6,000. I've looked on here and seen alot of people with high mileage and the truck still going strong.

Do you have any idea about how much to rebuild the tranny? I know sometimes thet usually go out first. But the truck seems to be in good running condition as far as I know.

Last edited by CHEVY_SILVERADO; July 2nd, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the life of the truck depends on how well it has been taken care of, and how well it continues to be taken care of. how it looks on the surface can be a small indication of how well maintained, but not always. you'll want to look for oil spots on the ground where it's been parked, and oil/grease spots on truck of course. get a carfax one way or another. this won't tell you everything, but it'll give you some info, such as the title condition (clear, rebuilt, salvage, void) any repairs that shops may have reported. drive it. see how it feels.
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by CHEVY_SILVERADO
THANKS, my-4x4

Yeah. It's definitely not $6,000. I've looked on here and seen alot of people with high mileage and the truck still going strong.

Do you have any idea about how much to rebuild the tranny? I know sometimes thet usually go out first. But the truck seems to be in good running condition as far as I know.
I've driven that exact model more than just test drive, long hauls and towing. I wasn't entirely impressed with it but I wasn't exactly unhappy about it either. Either I overlooked it or you didn't state what exactly it's use was going to be.

For hauling/towing I'd go with a V8 model. I've pulled trailers from Dallas to Galveston several times with that 2000 V6. My current 97 V8 worked so much more effeciently.

As long was it was well cared for it'll be fine. If you know the owner then drill him/her with questions. If not, ask for several test drives and maybe some time to thoroughly look over the truck. Receipts of battery, alternator, shocks, fluid changes, misc repairs.. will all be helpful. That truck will last if you maintain it well.

As far as the Transmission work, call around for estimates from quality shops. The GM shops are gonna f*** you hard with pricing and might do extra work that isn't needed. Just my 2 cents on dealerships.

Best of luck to ya!
Old July 6th, 2010, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 2000 silverado and around the 200000 mark the wires that run from the door to the fuses and what not tend to break. my window and power lock wires recently snapped so i just had to reconnect them. thats something just to remember in the future if you decide to buy.