Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   2000 Silverado Generator connector on alternator (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/2000-silverado-generator-connector-alternator-63721/)

Pwadwa2012 February 20th, 2014 1:28 PM

2000 Silverado Generator connector on alternator

Hello to everyone. This forum is amazing. I have a question in an attempt to troubleshoot some electrical issues with my 2000 Silverado Z71. My question relates to the generator connector located on top of the alternator. There is only one wire in this four wire connector. It is positioned second from the right when facing the alternator. I know this is the Charging Indicator Light wire. Now my question.

Should there be 12 volts on this wire coming to the alternator? I disconnected this wire and with the key in the On position or with the engine running, I measure 12 volts. Just curious why voltage would be returning to the alternator.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for this helpful forum.

Don.
2000 Silverado, 4x4, 5.3L, Z71, Ext. Cab., 110,000 miles.

runchevyrun February 21st, 2014 11:09 AM

That wire is probably the field wire. that will be hot as soon as you turn the ignition switch on or the truck is running. its used to "excite" the alternator. so yes there should be 12v when key is tuned on or truck running.

Pengey July 21st, 2014 5:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pwadwa2012 (Post 268725)
Hello to everyone. This forum is amazing. I have a question in an attempt to troubleshoot some electrical issues with my 2000 Silverado Z71. My question relates to the generator connector located on top of the alternator. There is only one wire in this four wire connector. It is positioned second from the right when facing the alternator. I know this is the Charging Indicator Light wire. Now my question.

Should there be 12 volts on this wire coming to the alternator? I disconnected this wire and with the key in the On position or with the engine running, I measure 12 volts. Just curious why voltage would be returning to the alternator.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for this helpful forum.

Don.
2000 Silverado, 4x4, 5.3L, Z71, Ext. Cab., 110,000 miles.

Hello Don, I'm new to the Chevy Forums. I can't find the link to post a question. Since this issue is similar to mine I hope you can respond to my problem. My light glows red on cold mornings, it flickers on and off until my 2001 Silverado V8 reaches operating temperature. The alternator is working that is I have no battery issues. Also I have a home in Palm Springs, CA where it is warm to hot all the time. While in Palm Springs the light never comes on with the exception of starting after a cold night, which can happen in the desert.
It seem to me that it is a connection issue but, where to look? is the question.
Any ideas?