Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2000 silverado max tire size???

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2011, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 silverado max tire size???

I have a 2" rough country levelling kit I am going to be installing, with +2" Bilstein 5100 series shocks upfront and +1" shocks in the rear because I also have airbags in the rear. What would the largest tire size be that I can install without any rubbing? I would like to keep my stock 16" rims. I was thinking of going with Toyo open country MT's 285/75/16. Would this tire size be a problem? Any advice would be appreciated because I will likely be buying these tires online and I do not want to have to return 4 tires. Thanks.
Old February 16th, 2011, 6:55 PM
CF Active Member

Can't you just find a big parking lot and find a truck with the tires on it and park next to em and check it out? I have the Toyo MT 285/75/18 and a five inch lift and there is plenty of room on that setup. I'm thinking you're going to be fine. The main thing I'd check is your steering radius, but I have heard that guys do cut out the plastic parts of the wheel wheels to make room.

You realize that toyos have a rep of being a sleightly on the heavy side tire. Guys will tell you how great they are in the mud and off road, but that's because they haven't used anything better. The real advantage of the Toyo is is quiet on the Highway and still gets you around off road, especially if you drop the air pressure way down, like to 12 lbs.
Old February 17th, 2011, 9:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the 285/75/16 bfg all terrains at stock height with not adjustment and didn't have to cut any at all even in full turns so yes you'll be able to fit them no problem
Old February 17th, 2011, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. At least I know I will be able to fit the toyo's under my truck, but I was unaware they were so heavy. I will look around and compare some more tires, but I think the toyo's are the best looking m/t's out there, that still perform well on the pavement. The Nitto's are very nice, but I have heard they are noisy and wear very quickly. I will maybe compare the toyo's with the BFG m/t's, and maybe a few others. Thanks.
Old February 18th, 2011, 2:44 AM
Super Moderator

yeah I have the toyos now and they are heavy that's for sure but they're great tires so it doesn't cross my mind to switch to another brand. nittos mud grappler isn't loud, unless you have the tire pressure up abnormally high(a few of my friends have them at right psi) so they're aren't that bad. they aren't the toyos, no, but they're ok. and bfg mud terrains are louder IMO than the nittos
Old February 19th, 2011, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

After I have taken a good look at my stock rims, I see that they are peeling in spots, and I don't think they will look that good with new tires. I am now planning on getting 17 or 18" rims, but I do not know what backspacing and offset to get. I think the stock backspacing is around 5" and about +29mm offset, but I am not sure if this is correct. If I am going from a 16" rim that is 7" wide to a 18" rim that is 8 or 9" wide, should my backspacing stay the same, the offset will have to be less positive I would think to bring the tires out a bit. Not too sure about this. Is anyone running 17" or 18" rims with just a levelling kit? Also, what is the BS and offset? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on putting on 33" by 11.5, or 12" wide tires, something like that.
Old February 19th, 2011, 7:52 AM
Super Moderator

I've got 12.5" tires and a -12 offset and that made me have to cut a little, but I like how they stick out about an inch all the way around. I think my backspacin is 4.5 or something like that but I'm not entirely to sure
Old March 30th, 2017, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Max tire size

Originally Posted by Honda680
I have a 2" rough country levelling kit I am going to be installing, with +2" Bilstein 5100 series shocks upfront and +1" shocks in the rear because I also have airbags in the rear. What would the largest tire size be that I can install without any rubbing? I would like to keep my stock 16" rims. I was thinking of going with Toyo open country MT's 285/75/16. Would this tire size be a problem? Any advice would be appreciated because I will likely be buying these tires online and I do not want to have to return 4 tires. Thanks.
I have a 2" leveling kit with 1.5" wheel spacers what is the max tire size I can run
Old March 30th, 2017, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

I have 2000 Silverado with a 2" leveling kit and 1.5" wheel spacers with 17" rim. I don't want to have a huge tire I just don't want the truck to look like it skipped leg day