Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2009, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD transmission problems

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas burner. Lately I have noticed the truck riding funny around town. I can't tell if it's the transmission or something else and I don't want to spend a bunch of money going through each possibility until I get it right. When at a stop and pressing the gas, the truck seems as if it is in gear, but there is a slight pause/bump in the rear end when talking off from the stop. I had the same problem in a 1997 Tahoe one time and it turned out to be a problem with the rear wheel seals and not the transmission.

Another problem is that when travelling around town at a relatively low speed, 35 to 50 mph the truck seems to bounce. I am not depressing the gas pedal hard at all when this occurs. It sometimes does it when I am coasting. If I do get back on the gas it does not seem to have any slippage going right back into gear. I have checked the transmission fluid and it is red and does not smell burnt at all. The engine does not rev high and then slam into gear, nor do I seem to be having any major acceleration problems. I also haven't heard any funky sounds coming from underneath when the truck shifts.

The transmission does need servicing, but I do not want to be blindsided with a big repair when I go to have it serviced. I am wondering if it is a tuning problem, a transmission problem or something else completely. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

A little advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.