Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 silverado 1500 starting issues

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2014, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 silverado 1500 starting issues

I recently bought a 2001 1500 and it has 2 problems. The first is that when you turn the key to crank it over it will crank for about 5 seconds and finally start, but if you only turn the key to crank it the slightest bit it will start right up. the second problem is that the fuel gauge is broken, it will be at empty and say low fuel and periodically start to work but never show the correct fuel level. it was brought to a shop where the starting problem was explained as "a GM thing" and they tested the fuel pressure and everything checked out. they explained the fuel gauge problem as a gauge cluster problem. Would it be possible to have normal fuel pressure and a bad sender unit? does anybody else have this problem? any advice or explanations would be great
Old May 5th, 2014, 10:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like time to replace fuel pump. I have replaced the pumps on 2 of my 3 Silverados and found it easier to remove the bed to replace the pump. the new ones come with a new connection which you have to wire in. I soldiered and heat shrunk tubing to seal and protect the connection. Do not buy a cheap chinese pump as you will be doing it again in less than a year. Buy a Delphi or a AC Delco. Check E-bay for your best price. Also you will have a problem with the Evap solenoid throwing a code in time. When you have the bed off replace it with the upgrade kit. Save for headaches later. the bed comes off fairly easy, 8 bolts some electrical quick disconnects at the rear of bed and the inlet fuel hose to tank. I did it myself with a hoist 4 cornered to the bed. If not handy 3 or 4 freinds and a couple of 6 packs after the job is done. good luck