Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2001 Silverado rear brake problems.

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2014, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Silverado rear brake problems.

Hi new to forums and first post. I contacted Scotty Kilmer on youtube about this problem and have not received a reply yet.. so I figured I'd broaden my horizons and take a chance on a forum as well.

this is a direct copy and paste from my shorthand notes taken during this headache ( just to have on paper). the forum link is talking about the error code and the GM protocol for fixing.. which apparently has done not that much good since I am here now... here is the notes:

"2001 Silverado 1500 LS 2wd 5.3L V8

Rear left pad ground to metal. Right pad and rotor intact. Replaced pads and left rear rotor now both rear brakes are sticking. Smoke coming from rear left and feels like emergency brake is on with burning rubber smell driving on highway >55 mph but no smoke under speeds of 40 mph. Both calipers intact and pushing in and releasing.

Error code:
DTC C0265 EBCM Motor Relay Circuit on computer check. ABS and Brake light on.

GM diagnostic copy and pasted in this forum:
Any one know what code C0265, unknown diagnostic trouble code $29 means?

"Cause
A poor connection at the EBCM ground is causing unnecessary replacement of brake modules.

Important: The EBCM ground is different for each application. Refer to the list below for the proper ground reference:

• Midsize Utilities = Ground 304

• SSR = Ground 400

• Fullsize Trucks and Utilities = Ground 110

Correction
Important: Do not replace the brake module to correct this condition. Perform the following repair before further diagnosis of the EBCM.

Perform the following steps to improve the connection of the EBCM Ground:

Remove the EBCM Ground. The EBCM Ground is located on the frame beneath the driver's side door. If multiple grounds are found in this location, the EBCM ground can be identified as the heavy (12-gauge) wire.
If the original fastener has a welded on nut, remove the nut from the frame, and if required, enlarge the bolt hole to accommodate the new bolt and nut.
Clean the area, front and back, using a tool such as a *3M™ Scotch-Brite™ Roloc disc or equivalent.
Install the ground, then the washer and then the bolt to the frame.
Important: It is important to use the bolts, washers and nuts specified in this bulletin. These parts have been identified due to their conductive finish. "

Ground located and area polished and refastened.

No code thereafter

There is still friction upon turning in neutral on a lift and grinding present now in both rear tires, but no ABS or brake light after driving. Slight friction at slow speeds running in neutral to a complete stop and vehicle does not move in drive with no gas pedal pressed- which should be a slow rolling on flat street. Smell of burning rubber still present. Mechanic advised both calipers and EBCM replacement. Did not check lines or Master Cylinder, and visually bled lines from rear and pumped brakes 4 times."

any help or advice is appreciated.. thank you.