Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 Silverado Transmission Thump

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2010, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Silverado Transmission Thump

Yesterday I replaced the battery in my 2001 Chevrolet Silverado. The first time I backed out of the driveway after the battery change I felt a thump after rolling back 10 to 15 feet. At first the sound was not discernable because it felt like something hit the side of the truck. I put the truck in park and got out and inpected around the vehicle and there was nothing that I hit.

I got back in the truck, backed out of the drive, put it in park and drove forward about 10 to 15 feet. I felt the thump again. I drove approx. 4 miles to my first destination and did not hear any more thumps.

When leaving my first destination I backed out of the parking spot, put the truck in drive, and again, I felt the thump after about 10 to 15 feet. This pattern happened throughout the day, sometimes in reverse, sometimes in drive.

My question is this: Did changing the battery somehow affect transmission control? Could the thumping sound be caused by something related to the battery and/or computer, or is this coincidental?

I've seen in other manufacturer's forums that a transmission may need to be retrained. Could that be the case here?

Thanks.
Old December 5th, 2010, 4:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hard to say, u never know if u accidently shorted the system or something and it is making the trans do some funny stuff, idk but always dissconnect the negative first and hook it up last as well, try dissconnecting it for an hour or so and see if it fixes it, probly wont though but worth a shot