Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

2002 Electronic Ride Control

Old May 1st, 2011, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride control issues

Originally Posted by stevenheard
I have a 2002 Silverado and my ride control is not working. I have checked the fuses and other things and have not found the problem. When you press the switch and hold sometimes the light comes on and sometimes it doesn't. If you wiggle the switch while holding it in the light will come on. Does anyone know if the switch is the problem and if so how do you change it?

Thanks - Steve
Steve, The problem is the actual switch. You can get a new one from GM for about $60.oo. I have done this three times now. Fortunately GM warrantied the first 2 however they want to put it in the shop & do a diagnostics on the electronics to the shocks. My last switch lasted almost 2 years but they are not as good as the OEM (original). You would think all the other switches / relays last for 10 years, but not this; even it you only use it a few times a year. it just fails on it's own putting the truck in the soft mode which I hate. Too springy with a load. There you have it. TTUNE.
Old May 1st, 2011, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Steve, The problem is the actual switch. You can get a new one from GM for about $60.oo. I have done this three times now. Fortunately GM warrantied the first 2 however they want to put it in the shop & do a diagnostics on the electronics to the shocks. My last switch lasted almost 2 years but they are not as good as the OEM (original). You would think all the other switches / relays last for 10 years, but not this; even it you only use it a few times a year. it just fails on it's own putting the truck in the soft mode which I hate. Too springy with a load. There you have it. TTUNE.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Ride Control Switch Fix

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado with the ride control switch. I have replaced the switch multiple times. Cost is about $60 at the dealer. I recently stopped getting new ones and fixed the switch myself. I was able to replace the push-button switch with a black rocker switch and it works fine. Looks stock and will not fail as the O&M switch did. If you are interested let me know. The fix cost about $5 plus shipping.and should not fail as the original one did. Send me a message if interested.

I can fix it but I don't have a busted one to document the fix. If anyone is interested send me a message and I will fix your switch and document how it was done. Switch is about $5 for the rocker switch. Looks clean when done.

- John
Old September 7th, 2011, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 silverado ride control switch fixed for good!!

hey all. im on my second, now third, ride control switch. theres a problem as you all are aware of. i just couldnt see paying gm another fifty bucks for a switch that i knew was gonna break again.
so i sent a private message to jduca,. he promptly called me back and sent pictures of his new and improved switch design. i mailed him my old switch and he went to radio shack and bought a small nice looking flip switch that fits inside the stock switch hole. he then wired and soldered the wires after he used a dremel to make everything fit proper. by using the old switch housing it still says ride control on it and the light works in the on position. and fits in the same position as stock. he then tested the switch in his truck and promptly mailed my old/new switch back to me in oregon. shipping was only 2.50 each way through usps. it took me a whole 30 seconds to install. i couldnt be happier, it works great, looks great and i doubt it will ever break again.
i highly recommend jduca's service. thanks, strag
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

great explanations...thanks. My question is when i push button in, light comes on but button does not stay depressed and light stays on. I push in again, button returns to out postion and light goes off.
Is this normal or is button suppose to stay depressed when on? I truly cannot tell a difference in the ride.

thanks
Old September 21st, 2011, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Ride Control Switch

It is supposed to stay in. Your's is broken too. Bad design of the switch. If you hold it in the light comes on, that means it is engaged. Drive around with the switch pushed in and see if you can tell a difference...you should be able to.

I can modify your broken switch as Steve mentioned. Let me know if you are interested.

jduca
Old September 21st, 2011, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default try this

i really notice the soft setting when driving at hwy speeds, the whole truck leans quite a bit through the turns. kinda like driving a big buick that has a nice soft suspension. push the switch to firm, and it rides like a truck again. hope this helps, strag
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Smile Documented fix w/pics please?

I look forward to jduca posting the documented fix with pictures. Or at least a picture of the new switch that he has made. Thanks in advance.
Old September 26th, 2011, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Picture of switch

Here is a picture of the switch I updated.
John
Attached Thumbnails  2002 Electronic Ride Control-photo.jpg  
Old December 17th, 2011, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ride Control Switch

Hi, I have a 2002 Silverado 4x4 with the Z71 off-road and tow package and yes, I am having problems with the ride control switch. I read you have a fix for the ride control switch. I got a rocker switch from Radio Shack and found the problem of incompatable plug slots. Is it possible for you to describe how you made the fix or could I just send you my switch - I hate to impose but this switch and ride control shock problem is frustrating.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Electronic Ride Control