Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

2002 Electronic Ride Control

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2017, 8:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi jon
I know it been a while since you posted about ride control fix. If you still have that info I would much appreciate if you could share with me
Thanks walter
Old February 28th, 2017, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Walter, Tom here, Ttune. I made earlier posts. The issue is typically the ride switch on the dash. Only came with Z71 option to control the magnetic shocks. Feel free to email me at ttunez71@gmail.com. There was another member post where he replaced it with a toggle, however you would need the wiring diagram. I can try to be of further assistance. Thx.
Old March 30th, 2019, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default Requesting wiring information

I have the same issue, have replaced it twice already. Fortunately, I was able to find an aftermarket online for a lot less than OEM. I am going to put a toggle in place this time. Could you send me the information you have on the wiring for a toggle switch.

Thank you,
Jeremy
Old October 21st, 2019, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default Replacement Part Link

Originally Posted by Jeremy James
I have the same issue, have replaced it twice already. Fortunately, I was able to find an aftermarket online for a lot less than OEM. I am going to put a toggle in place this time. Could you send me the information you have on the wiring for a toggle switch.

Thank you,
Jeremy
Hey, by any chance would you have the link of the aftermarket part? I’ve been looking everywhere but can’t find one
Old October 22nd, 2019, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jeremy James

Thank you,
Jeremy
I no longer have that truck. I need someone to send me a ride control switch and toggle switch in order for me to document it. I am willing to do that if someone can send over a switch. Send me a message if interested. I can return it within a week.
John
Old March 20th, 2022, 2:45 AM
CF Beginner

literally has been 12 years since this... any chance you remember how to do it?
Old March 20th, 2022, 2:50 AM
CF Beginner

Question

Originally Posted by jduca
I no longer have that truck. I need someone to send me a ride control switch and toggle switch in order for me to document it. I am willing to do that if someone can send over a switch. Send me a message if interested. I can return it within a week.
John
Any chance you still remember how to do this?
Old September 9th, 2022, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default Quad steer & The Compressor: The great mystery

Hello all, I purchased my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Quad Steer around 6 years ago in 2016. I found out very quickly what the Quad Steer feature did to the steering. However, I also had a "Ride Control" switch that was clearly not working. I also seemed to have an aftermarket device that I had no clue was under the dashboard. Now I know that device was an aftermarket compressor. I don’t know much about suspension, springs, shocks, lifting or lowering. I’m learning about it every day. I have a 2002 Ford Mustang which is ironically the same color and year as my Chevy. I recently purchased some rims and tires for my Mustang and realized that I will need some shocks and springs to lower my Mustang to have a proper stance. I was trying to understand why the "Compressor" stopped working awhile back after I got stuck on a sand hill. After my truck was towed off the sand hill, I noticed that both the horn and the compressor stopped working. Since I didn’t know what the compressor was (at the time) I wasn’t in a hurry to have it fixed. I thought that when I got the horn fixed that the compressor maybe, somehow would be fixed. The horn was repaired and I noticed the compressor still wasn’t working. I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence that the compressor stopped working after being stuck and the horn went out ironically at the same time. I’ve checked EVERY fuse and all of the fuses are good. As I learn about the springs and the compressor, I realized that the entire coil springs and the Firestone Coil-Rite Air Helper springs for the rear axle is missing. There is NOTHING there.... there is a location where the LARGE coil springs would be but there are NO springs installed. I did notice that the normal leaf springs on both rear axles has small, covered coil springs. I will assume this is the OEM factory springs, coil springs etc. I notice there is a red hose, which I thought was a positive wire leading to both coils..... I noticed that the right side (passenger side) hose seems to be pinched between some metal parts, this may be the reason why the OEM "ride control" no longer works. Its apparent to me that someone installed an aftermarket "Ride Control" using the compressor to activate the coils. However, I never paid attention to what parts made the aftermarket ride control work. I am not sure if I have had the LARGE coil springs when I purchased my truck. I will assume that the compressor was working, I could add pressure or released it up until I got stuck on the sand. So, in other words, I NEVER had the AFTERMARKET springs, the Coil Rite Help springs (which are clearly colored blue). My story was written because out of the years I’ve had this truck NO ONE could tell me how to lower my quad steer and no one knew what the "ride control" switch was for nor could anyone tell me what the compressor was for!!!!! I’ve been to several shops and I always hear "NO" you can’t lift or drop my truck due to the quad steer, and no one knew what the "Ride Control" or the compressor was for. I simply did a search looking for a replacement for the compressor and I found a website ETRAILER.COM I found both the aftermarket springs and the identical compressor that’s on my truck on that site. The site welcomed questions about the products so I simply asked. What was the compressor and or “ride control” used for. The response from “Kyle” did not answer my question but offered a new question of what is an “Air Bag” none of the product’s description ever mentioned an Air Bag. I thought air bags where for lowering or lifting a vehicle. I never mentioned lowering or lifting my vehicle. I simply asked what was the purpose of the “ride control” switch and what was the Firestone compressor typically used for in simple terms I could understand. The confusion wasn’t with me, I think Kyle did NOT take the time to research my question. I was asking about the product which has NOTHING to do with lifting or lowering, it has to do with making the ride stiff for towing or road conditions. I found the answers to my question in this forum inside THIS and another thread where someone contacted Chevrolet and they clearly described what “ride control” was used for. Kyle failed to explain this to me. I have 3 issues going on: #1 the OEM “ride control” not working, #2 the aftermarket compressor seems to be broken and… I have no large coil springs or the springs that comes with the Firestone coil-rite help springs. #3 no one could answer if I could lower my truck due to the quad steer. Looks like the “ride control” switch don’t work, the compressor stopped working after my accident, and no one seems to know what Quad Steer is and how to lower my truck but I found tons of forums and confirmation that you can lower a quad steer truck. Was the issue that people at this truck shops simply didn’t want to help me? I had to figure all of this out on my own. I think the OEM feature don’t work because the hose is pinched, I think the compressor died on me after my accident, and I never had the large coil springs on my truck. I found several posts on this and other forums proving that you can lower or raise a truck with quad steer with no issues! Any feedback?

After Market Compressor - Firestone Air Command I - Analog Gauge w/ Light-Duty Compressor - Single Function - 130 psi

Firestone Air Command I - Analog Gauge w/ Light-Duty Compressor - Single Function - 130 psi

Ride Control Switch

Passenger Side Location of Coil Springs - Missing

Driver Side Location of Coil Springs - Missing

Driver Side Possibly the OEM leaf springs / coil springs with a red hose

Passenger Side Possibly the OEM leaf springs / coil springs with pinched red hose

Pinched red hose leading to Passenger side coil spring