Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2002 silverado 2WD - random humming/harmonic noises

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2008, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 silverado 2WD - random humming/harmonic noises

Hey all,

I'm posting here to try and find out the problem with my father's 2002 Silverado 2WD. He has slightly under 100,000 km (60,000 mi) now and for the last 5,000 km or so the truck has had a humming noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear (not completely sure on this though since it's hard to tell).

It seems make the noise alot more in the cold than in the hot, and it will go away afterthe vehiclestarts to warm up. Sometimes it won't even make any noise at all, but then you'll be at a stoplight for a minute and the noise willshow upagain once you start moving ... till it gets louder and louder then it will dissapear. It almost actually sounds like a noise from a TV show where they'd have UFO's or something, lol.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me, or has had a similar experience with their vehicle?

The dealership here can't find what the problem is, and they've tried a few things.....

Cheers,

Pierre.
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 2002 silverado 2WD - random humming/harmonic noises

Welcome to the forum!!! Typically I would say that is the diff. whinning but since it is making the noise while the truck is not moving it is probably something else. I would hate to jump tothe conclusionthat it is a slipping transmission, but we will see what other people think.
Old March 6th, 2008, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the reply.

My first message wasn't clear enough, so I just edited it.

The vehicle doesn't make any noise when it's stationary. It's usually just when you start driving, and stays for about 10 - 15 seconds then is gone till you are parked for a minute or 2 at a stop light. Once you start going it will show up again. It has different volume levels to where it will get louder as you go faster, but then just dissapears completely out of nowhere.

I should have him take it in to make the dealer inspect the diff then, if that might be the case.
Old March 6th, 2008, 2:59 PM
Super Moderator

Do you know what the dealer checked?
Old March 7th, 2008, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

I'm not sure... I'll have to give my father a call to check that out...
Old March 8th, 2008, 7:43 PM
CF Senior Member

Welcome to the forum pearwear. Is there any shaking associated with this noise? Does it increase with speed?
Old March 8th, 2008, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

im thinking a bearing in the rear driveline. maybe the differential maybe a ujoint. i had a bearing go out in my rear shaft and it would make a god awful noise but the weird thing was that it didnt always make it. with 60000 miles on the truck there is a good possibility that the seals have gone in one of the ujoint knuckles and water got in to distroy the needle bearings. im pretty sure that the stock joints are sealed and non greaseable. have him look for any play in the rear shaft.
Old April 1st, 2008, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

hey guys.... my father brought his truck back into the dealer again and had to pay them $60 to do an overhaul look since they didn't want to actually look at everything for free (like they should for warranty work IMHO, but anyhoo he really needed this done before his60,000 milewarranty was up) ... they found that there were seized bearings in the front and rear driveshafts (apparently this is in 2 - 3 pieces from what he was telling me?), and well it took them 2 days to fix the truck because the bearings were that seized, lol. They also found a couple of blown gaskets/seals on a couple of parts, but I forget right now since I talked to him over a week ago about this. I'll ask him again to get full details on everything now that he has his truck back.

Thanks for all the help!