Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 Silverado wheel clear coat messed up?

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2014, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Silverado wheel clear coat messed up?

I have a problem with these rims I got. I love these style of wheels and they look the best to me on some bigger tires...but what can I do to fix them? It looks either up close like tiny scratches? Can I use airplane stripper, let It sit, sand them down, then use rustoleum clear coat and spray on them? What would be the step by step demonstration?
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have those same wheels (the 17" Z-71 rims) on my 2004 Silverado. I have the same problem getting them to look just right. When I take it to the local full-service car wash, I get the "hot wax" option and when they wipe them down with the cloth towels, they come out looking GREAT - for a day or two - then they get kind of crappy again.

For a ten-year-old truck, I can't complain - but it would be nice to have them look a bit better. If you wash it at home, try Eagle One or Meguiar's products. Get the one formulated for aluminum (NOT chrome) wheels and be sure not to get any on the sidewall of the tire.