Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2005 Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2009, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Chevy Silverado

My truck just recently stopped accepting cd's in the cd player, and my service air bag light has come on and won't go off. Any ideas before I pay a garage big bucks? Thank you.
Old May 6th, 2009, 9:25 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

pull the fuse on the radio and put it back it to see if it works. If it does, your fixed untill it happens again. There is new software for the radio to addres this concern, but if you want to save a few bucks, just pull the fuse every time.

As for the airbag light, you have to bring it in to have the codes looked at before you start throwing money at it
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2005 Chevy Silverado

I had the codes checked on the truck and it is reading code B0100 for the service air bag light. The mechanic said I need to replace the frontal sensor and they want to charge $185.00 for this. Any ideas?

Also, they said I need a whole new radio assembly, cost $380.00.
Old May 9th, 2009, 6:47 AM
Banned

Are you wanting to actively diagnose the airbag wiring? i'll post schematics and info if you want.

As for the radio...does it make noise when you press the eject button? If it does not, pull the fuse and put it back in and it will fix it right up. Fuse is under the hood
Old May 9th, 2009, 6:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The CD player in my 04 went bad in the same fashion. Fortunately, it was under warranty at the time, and they replaced it free.
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

I pulled the fuse and now my cd player is playing but it won't release the cd that' s in it. Could I use a bigger fuse than a #15 to give it more power?

Yes, if you want to give me the info on the airbag, I would appreciate it. Thank You.
Old May 12th, 2009, 6:53 PM
Banned

bigger fuse won't change anything...you'll need a radio, or at least get yours fixed

And some info on the B0100

DTC B0100, B0101, B0102, B0103, B0104, or B0105
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1685639&pubCellSyskey=70016&p ubObjSyskey=1685639&from=sm&cellId=70016#ss1-1685639">DTC Descriptors

DTC B0100 : Front End Sensor 1 Performance (Left)

DTC B0101 : Discard Front End Sensor 1 (Left)

DTC B0102 : Incorrect Front End Sensor 1 Installed (Left)

DTC B0103 : Front End Sensor 2 Performance (Right)

DTC B0104 : Discard Front End Sensor 2 (Right)

DTC B0105 : Incorrect Front End Sensor 2 Installed (Right)

Diagnostic Fault Information

<TABLE width="95%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Circuit

</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Short to Ground

</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>High Resistance

</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Open

</TH><TH align=middle>Short to Voltage

</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Signal Performance

</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center>Front End Sensor Left Signal Circuit

</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>--

</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>B0100

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center>Front End Sensor Left Voltage Circuit

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center>Front End Sensor Right Signal Circuit

</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>B0103

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center>Front End Sensor Right Voltage Circuit

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1685639&pubCellSyskey=70016&p ubObjSyskey=1685639&from=sm&cellId=70016#ss3-1685639">Circuit/System Description

The inflatable restraint front end sensor utilizes a unidirectional 2-wire circuit. The front end sensor modulates current on the interface to send ID, State of Health, and deployment commands to the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM). The SDM serves as a power source and a ground for the front end sensor. When the ignition is turned ON and input power from the SDM is first detected, the SIS responds by performing internal diagnostics and sending an ID to the SDM. The SDM considers the ID to be valid if the response time is less than 5 seconds. The front end sensor continually communicates status messages to the SDM, which determines if a fault is present in the front end sensor circuit. When a fault is detected, the SDM resets the front end sensor twice by removing and reapplying power to it. If the fault is still present, the SDM will set a DTC.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1685639&pubCellSyskey=70016&p ubObjSyskey=1685639&from=sm&cellId=70016#ss4-1685639">Conditions for Running the DTC

Ignition voltage is between 9-16 volts.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1685639&pubCellSyskey=70016&p ubObjSyskey=1685639&from=sm&cellId=70016#ss5-1685639">Conditions for Setting the DTC

All of the following conditions exist for 2.5 seconds:
B0100 for Front End Sensor 1 or B0103 for Front End Sensor 2

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>• </TD><TD vAlign=top>A valid ID message is not received within 5 seconds of the front end sensor being powered up. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>• </TD><TD vAlign=top>The SDM has not received a message from the front end sensor for more than 375 milliseconds.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>• </TD><TD vAlign=top>The SDM has reset the front end sensor twice without detecting a valid ID message.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
B0101 for Front End Sensor 1 or B0104 for Front End Sensor 2

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>• </TD><TD vAlign=top>The SDM has received an ID message from the front end sensor, which does not match the ID stored in the SDM memory. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>• </TD><TD vAlign=top>The SDM has reset the front end sensor twice without detecting a correct ID message.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
B0102 for Front End Sensor 1 or B0105 for Front End Sensor 2

The SDM has received a NOK message from the front end sensor.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1685639&pubCellSyskey=70016&p ubObjSyskey=1685639&from=sm&cellId=70016#ss6-1685639">Action Taken When the DTC Sets

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>• </TD><TD vAlign=top>The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via serial data communications. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>• </TD><TD vAlign=top>The SIR System is disabled and no deployments are allowed.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>• </TD><TD vAlign=top>The condition responsible for setting the DTC no longer exists and the scan tool Clear DTCs function is used. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>• </TD><TD vAlign=top>A history DTC will clear once 255 malfunction-free ignition cycles have occurred.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1. Important: When removing connectors inspect for damage or corrosion. Damage or corrosion in the following requires repair or replacement of the affected component/connector.
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The front end sensor</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The SDM module</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The front end sensor wiring harness connector</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The SDM wiring harness connector</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<LI type=1>Ignition ON, use the scan tool as clear SIR codes then recheck for DTCs. Verify that DTC B0101, B0102, B0104, or B0105 is not set.
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>⇒</TD><TD vAlign=top>If DTC B0101 or B0102 is set current replace the front end sensor 1/left.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>⇒</TD><TD vAlign=top>If DTC B0104 or B0105 is set current replace the front end sensor 2/right.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<LI type=1>If DTC B0100 is current, disconnect the front end sensor 1 connector, or if DTC B0103 is current disconnect the front end sensor 2 connector. Refer to front end sensor replacement in Repair Instructions for location of connector. <LI type=1>Remove the SDM connector, refer to SDM replacement in Repair Instructions for connector location. <LI type=1>Test the signal and voltage circuits between the SDM and front end sensor. Verify that a short to voltage, short to ground, or open/low resistance does not exist.
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>⇒</TD><TD vAlign=top>If any of the above conditions are found make the appropriate repair.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  2. Reconnect all SIR components. Ignition ON, use the scan tool to clear the DTCs then recheck for DTCs. Verify no DTCs are set.
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>⇒</TD><TD vAlign=top>If DTC B0100 was current replace the front end sensor 1. After replacement refer to Repair Verification. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>⇒</TD><TD vAlign=top>If DTC B0103 was current replace the front end sensor 2. After replacement refer to Repair Verification. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by shawnvw; May 12th, 2009 at 6:56 PM.
Old May 19th, 2011, 4:54 AM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem with air bag sensor. Why am I not authorized to view the above links?
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Okay, I just found out that Onstar can actually be valuable in diagnosing codes. My Service Airbag light came on on my 2005 Silverado and I used the Onstar button to see if they could tell me which sensor it was. The Onstar INSTALLATION TEAM (2nd level transfer) was able to inform me that it was the right number sensor. I removed the skid plate underneath the truck, was able to see and swap out the right sensor with the left (Please remove the negative cable from battery, as to NOT deploy airbag) and called Onstar again to have them refresh the codes. They then told me it was the left sensor, telling me that it was the actual sensor sending the code. I replaced the sensor and it works!!

Last edited by kennycardin@yahoo.com; October 16th, 2011 at 2:42 PM. Reason: mispelling correction
Old October 15th, 2011, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2005 radio not working

recently my '05 silverado w/ BOSE, quit working,the FM bands quit making sound, but the AM will but has really poor reception. any ideas?

Quick Reply: 2005 Chevy Silverado