Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2005 Silverado shakes when breaking

Old August 22nd, 2012, 4:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the warped rotor thing.
Never let anyone use a impact wrench on your wheel install.

If they would just use it to run up the slack, and then hand torque in the proper sequence you should be ok.

Great care is taken at the factory to ensure that all wheel lug nuts are secured at the same time.
These computer controlled tools set the torque in 3 stages to ensure that all seat at the same time.
This is an MVSS Torque, but is completely ignored after the vechicle leaves the factory.
They just have to prove it was correct when it left the factory.
Lee
Old August 22nd, 2012, 6:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by LS Silverado
Its all in the cab. Lightly in the steering wheel
Any suspension modifications, lift kits, blocks added to the rear leaf springs that change driveline angles?

I've added 20's to chevy of this year and haven't noticed any problems but the suspension system components were all in good working order.

Last edited by tech2; August 22nd, 2012 at 6:36 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

So i went to discount tire to have them measure the bore size to see if they could order hub ring and balance them again and they end up telling me these trucks cant really handle anything over 18s i assume this isnt true?

And the truck has no suspension mods.... The truck has 150,000MI Just to let yall know
Old August 22nd, 2012, 9:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see your truck with 20 inch wheels all the time. They have no suspension modification at all and they ride and brake normally. There is no death wobble problem on a 1500, 2wd Chevy truck. You do not need any modifications. They must shake some all the time. I am willing to bet 1. The wheels are not balanced properly. 2. They do not fit correctly ( must have centering rings). 3. The tire shop who put the on are complete idiots ( 1. put wheels on without centering ring 2. Ran wheels on with impact gun especially new aftermarket wheels 3. Told you that truck can not handle 18" wheel when in fact you could go to 22" without issue if not 24".) Take it to a real shop with real technicians (not grease monkeys or mechanics) Take it somewhere where employees understand how various systems in a automobile truly work. You could be driving something dangerous with those wheels on.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 9:49 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxman04
and as you say MDTAHOE, GENERALLY. the GM "death wobble" as it is WIDELY known as, has nothing to do with the brakes.
When I say generally I mean 98-99% of the time. A death wobble on any truck begins when a bump is hit. The steering wheel shakes violently side to side (this is the death part, it is scary)and stops when slowing down. He did not describe anything close to a "Death Wobble"
Old August 23rd, 2012, 5:58 AM
Super Moderator

So i went to discount tire to have them measure the bore size to see if they could order hub ring and balance them again and they end up telling me these trucks cant really handle anything over 18s i assume this isnt true?

And the truck has no suspension mods.... The truck has 150,000MI Just to let yall know
Agree with md tahoe:
you need the hub spacers/centering rings

the tire store workers are morons

Last edited by tech2; August 23rd, 2012 at 6:01 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

My steering is tight no play.... And the bore (center on the rim) on the wheel looks to be almost the same as a stock 2500 wheel maybe thats why.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

I agree that it can handle bigger then 18s! There are two silverados down the street (05&06) one has 24s and the other on 26s
Old August 23rd, 2012, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

My Jeep had adeath wobble and ended up just being bad/worn out bushings on the control arms, You might want to check you upper c.a. and rule those out too. Mine were wore out on my Suburban at 100K miles and I replaced them with the Cognito Motorsport upper control arms. Just a thought....
Old August 23rd, 2012, 5:32 PM
Super Moderator

And the bore (center on the rim) on the wheel looks to be almost the same as a stock 2500 wheel maybe thats why.
believe the truck design is for hubcentric not lugcentric rim centering. GET spacers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Silverado shakes when breaking