Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 vibration after hitting a bump

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2012, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 vibration after hitting a bump

I have a 2005 crew cab 2wd. When I hit a bump with both front wheels I get a severe vibration in the front end. I have had the dealer align the front end and he found no issues with any parts. To me it feels like it needs a steering stabalizer but none are available for 2wd. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire off balance. Bad shock tie rod end chopped wheel take it to a tire shop ask how much to fix they will find problem
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 66_c0_tpi
I have a 2005 crew cab 2wd. When I hit a bump with both front wheels I get a severe vibration in the front end. I have had the dealer align the front end and he found no issues with any parts. To me it feels like it needs a steering stabalizer but none are available for 2wd. Any ideas what could be causing this?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Agreed, sounds like a balance issue. Does it only occur when hitting bumps?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 24th, 2012, 1:01 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were a balance issue, it would do it all the time. You've got a bad idler arm (acts just like it needs a steering stabilizer).

Allan
Old July 25th, 2012, 6:39 AM
CF Beginner

It does it only after hitting a bump. Also it doesn't do it if I only hit it with one wheel. I have to hit it with both front wheels. Like a bad expansion joint in the highway.
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:40 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Sounds like an idler arm or something is loose. One question that comes to mind is why the dealer didn't notice it.
Old July 26th, 2012, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

I have the truck up in the air now. I am putting on new shocks and checking the front end. The truck has rack and pinion steering so it doesn't have an idler arm. I am not find any play in any of the steering. I am going to look at it tomorrow a little closer when I can put one wheel on the ground.
Old January 11th, 2022, 4:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Front end vibration

Originally Posted by 66_c0_tpi
Hello you asked what could be causing the serve vibration when you hit a bump well there a couple of things you should have checked out first front shocks and struts. The next one is u should have your steering system the tie rods, control, arms, ball joints, and everything else around those and what mounts to the wheel hubs. The next and final one is u should have your sway bar to make sure it is not bent. I can tell u this and a mechanic shop there going to tell you that it's your front suspension is the problem but in reality it's not going to be any of the first few things to it's the last one bcuz I have the same truck and was having the same problem with my truck so I thought at first it was something with the steering controls so I replaced all the steering components in between the wheel hubs on each side and worked my way in towards the steering column and I test drove it afterwards and I hit a bump and the problem was still there then I decided to check out my sway bar and it was slightly bent over time and I replaced it with a new one and this test drive I hit the biggest bump I could hit and instantly you could feel nothing the vibration was gone so I'd probably star here if u don't have the money to replace the hole steering system and have a good rest of your day