Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2007 Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2010, 8:05 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dungholio
what about running thicker oil?
All thicker oil does is mask the real problem and create more down the road.
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Thicker oil would be a BAD IDEA. These engines are designed for 5W30 rated oil, and don't do well with thicker blends.

You might solve the problem, but you would probably damage the engine doing it.

The system may just have a bad ground. Have the "Big Three" been replaced?
Old July 8th, 2010, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default oil pressure

Most sending units are 1/8" pipe thread if yours is you can find a cheap gauge or borrow one from an air compressor, screw it in, start it and compare the difference (I hope)! I did this with a chrysler product that I had a few years ago.
if it is internal you can hope that it is the spring under the bypass that has failed allowing excess oil to bypass the oil galley. It could also be the oil pickup line loose, i saw that happen on a 8N Ford then some engines have internal oil lines, these can break. If that is not it then it gets much more serious. The lack of engine noise is good.
V-8's have 5 main bearings and 4 rod journals and the valve train. The pump on modern engines are more than adequate for these points. I could be and probably am wrong, I do a lot of custom antique engine work but I am not familier with late model engines. Good luck.
Old July 12th, 2010, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Cool Low oil pressure solution

To all that have this problem. Contact your dealer and reference Bulletin document #04-06-04-001C. This problem has been affecting 2001-2007 Silverado's. It is caused by the main wiring harness plugs located in the engine compartment "IPC Indicates no oil pressure" It is within the plastic connectors where all the wires plug into. A small plastic tab usually breaks off inside that holds the terminal in. When this happens the terminal makes intermittent connections which can cause more problems like; No crank, crank but no start, surge, misfire, hard to start and other guage problems. See this bulletin for more information and how to correct the problem. I personally feel that since this has been known that it should've been on the recall.
Old November 13th, 2010, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 07 Silverado 6.0 L Max. Oil pressure light came on took it to the garage. They changed the oil and said I had an after market oil filter, which was causing the problem. Oil pressure came back up and 2 days later it started working bad. Took it back to the garage and it shut off in the parking lot and would not start again. 2 weeks later, they called and said the oil pump went, a lifter collapsed, and broke a valve. This did not fix because when they started the truck the pressure was still low. 3 weeks after that we got the truck back with a new engine. When they took it apart they said the block was not cast properly and never had proper oil pressure since new. The truck had 86 000 km on it.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 1:14 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem as Preacher26. I have a 2007 6.0 Silverado and my gauge read extremely low oil pressure, but there was never any engine noise at all. Engine light code said "oil monitoring problem". A manual pressure test at the first Chevy dealership said my pump was just fine and reading as good pressure. Was told by them that I needed a new instrument cluster. Took it to a gauge shop and they couldn't find a problem with any wiring, cluster, computer or sending unit. They said I had an oil pump problem. Yesterday, I took it to a different Chevy dealership, with all the info I had attained, and they finally found the problem. Seems there is a very small filter in the oil pressure gauge system, about an inch long and looks like a miniature fixed orifice tube in an A/C system, and it was a little dirty. My pressure is back up to 40 psi on the freeway and 19 psi at idle. It had been as low as 8 psi freeway and 3 psi idle. I hope this ended my nightmare! Cost $508....Filter cost $5 Hope this info helps someone.
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

I started having the same problem, I've been told by friends it could be the oil pump or the oil pressure sensor itself. I havn't tried much to resolve the problem yet besides take it to advance auto parts and have the codes read, but that was no help so far. If you could keep us posted if you figure it out and I'll do the same.
Old December 6th, 2012, 9:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Built_like_a_rock88,

There are several possibilities for a low oil pressure warning, ecm, oil pressure sensor, oil pressure gauge, oil pump, etc.

I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

If you need assistance locating a technician in your area, please PM me your zip code.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 6th, 2012, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

My 2007 Silverado oil pressure gauge reading was extremely low...sometimes the bells went off. I had the REAL pressure checked (with a tester at a port somewhere near the oil filter) and it was reading good. Changed the sending unit with no success. First Chevy dealership said problem was in the instrument cluster. Second dealership found the problem. Apparently there is a small screen filter, kinda like a small orifice tube seen in A/C units, in the passage near or under the sending unit. Problem has been fixed now for a year and looks good. Wish I could be more precise on this but I didn't do the actual work.
Old December 7th, 2012, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

I did take it to a Chevy dealership certified technician, and they told me it was the oil pressure sensor which would be almost $600 parts and labor for them to replace it. I went and got the part for $40 took me a few hours to replaced it and it didn't take care of the problem. I'm quickly becoming annoyed by the problem. Anyone have any other recommendations.

Quick Reply: 2007 Low oil pressure