Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 New Body 2500HD with service 4wd message on dash

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2011, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 New Body 2500HD with service 4wd message on dash

Hey I am new to this website but I am in needed of your knowledge. Just the other day My truck was dead jumped it off and after driving it around noticed that my dial with the 4wd selector its light was out. Tried switching it to 4 wd and nothing. A message came up in the information center that states service 4 wheel drive. The truck only has 48K miles on and thinks this is way to early for 4wd trouble. I have read many people saying switch and others say incoder motor. What is you guys take of this?
Please help
Old January 15th, 2011, 7:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from my experience.. my 04 1500 was at the dealer a couple years ago for a driveline issue. while in there the service 4wd message came one. they diagnosed it to be the actuator in the t-case i believe. replaced it under warranty and no problems since. hope this helps.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

I was hoping you came of a solution on this. Im having the same issues on my truck right now too. Thanks!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:51 PM
CF Active Member

I have an 01 Silverado 4x4 electronic shift that had same problems, First I checked and cleaned all body and chassis grounds which seemed to help a little. The main ground is under drivers door on frame and another up behind left headlight on cross frame. May be different on yours so I'd crawl under and start looking for them. Then replaced dash switch with china dorman crap which didn't help any, put old back in. Next replaced T/C motor with a USA rebuilt part which helped for about two weeks then the same 4x4 message light came back on. Finally replaced TCCM with a used unit and back in business. Been good for two plus months. Your TCCM should reset the fault code after around 100 ignition key on. If no fault found your good to go until it detect a new fault.

Last edited by ToooTall1; March 23rd, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old July 12th, 2011, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, this message is for VWOvalchild,
I just went on this forum looking for info on SERVICE 4 WHEEL DRIVE and saw that you asked the exact same question. Did you ever get a simple answer with something you could do about it without going to the dealer?

Last edited by DadMulder; July 12th, 2011 at 4:40 PM.
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:42 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I'm having the same problem with my 2007 Chevy 2500hd. Did you ever get an answer?
Old February 13th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

tada805,
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry that you're having troubles with your Silverado. While as customer service representatives we're limited in helping with technical questions, please let us know if you decide to work with a dealership or have questions about warranties or recalls.

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 7th, 2013, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default I got the fix

had the same problem on my 07 2500hd. had to take to the chevy dealer and they had to reinstall the software for the transfer case module. there is a bug and it has to be cleared and the new software programed... took about 30 minutes and its all good from there... oh ya truck has 40k on it...
Old March 21st, 2014, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

Just so anyone else who has this problem with have an answer, I had the same problem. I have a new body style 2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab. Batteries went dead and I jumped it off. The next day when I got fresh batteries in it, the Service 4 Wheel Drive message was there. It was probably immediate but I noticed it the next day.

I tried all the fuses and battery disconnect remedies. No luck. I looked all over the net and saw fixes from TCCM programming to Encoder Motor. Reluctantly, I took it to the shop. They fixed it in one day. The TCCM lost its memory and had to be reprogrammed. Cost me $110.

Apparently there was also a service recall on the washer fluid tank heater. They removed it and gave me a $100 rebate check. So the repair ended up costing me $10. I was pleasantly surprised. Excellent experience. If you're in or near Birmingham, AL I highly recommend Ivan Leonard Chevrolet in Hoover.
Old July 17th, 2014, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default TCCM to encoder programming / re-set

Hello and thanks for informative discussion... I am located in Iceland and up here is no Chevrolet/GMC dealer. My batteries were disconnected and I got the Service 4 wheel drive message when starting/driving the car. My question: Is there available procedure to reset the encoder to the TCCM again?

Quick Reply: 2007 New Body 2500HD with service 4wd message on dash