Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 Silverado 2500 2WD front hubs shot.

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2010, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Silverado 2500 2WD front hubs shot.

In early April I noticed a speed related growl from the right front wheel area on my 2007 NBS. After jacking up the vehicle, removing the brake pads, and rotating the hub I determined front hub bearings going bad. Put it all back together, went to local dealer, told them what I found, OK, they will look at it. This at 28,000 miles.
Thier diagnosis was bad front brakes, and charged me $73 to look at them! I took the vehicle home and had the rotors turned, put in new ceramic pads, guess what, noise is still there and getting worse.
Yesterday I removed the front hub (which you could barely turn by hand) and went back to dealer. A brief sitdown with the service manager (the service writer was useless) and this AM my truck is in for front hubs.
Neither the service manager or writer were there this AM; I left a letter in the truck which I had wrote last night requesting two new hubs, and reinbursement for the incorrect diagnosis earlier in the month. I don't believe this is out of line considering what I have had to go through already.
But hub problems @ 28K miles?? On a truck that winters in Florida, never seen a salted road? Anyone else having hub problems?
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM
CF Active Member

I did not have problems that soon I had to do both on mine at 60,000 miles and freind also did one of his a 60,000. are you running stock tires and rims. if you have a bigger tire and or rim that can take some life out. maybe you just got a bad set. I have got new ones from the part store that where no good out of the box.
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stock tires and rims

Yep, plain jane tires and rims that came on the vehicle. I should mention too that I had to put shocks on at around 20,000, the OEM shocks were mush, you could push them in with one hand and they did not return. Went to aftermarket gas shocks all around.
Is there no quality left in US products? Funny how the aftermarket people will give you a lifetime warranty on their parts.
Old April 21st, 2010, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Silverado front hubs shot

Picked up the truck a half hour ago - with two shiny new front hubs and my reimbursement check for the first go-around. Just fair to understnad why dealership people are not better listeners, a bad front hub is not rocket science to diagnose, just takes a trained ear or even a screwdriver to one's ear and rotate the hub - anyway the Silverado is fixed to my satisfaction.
Old April 21st, 2010, 8:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same truck as you. I'm at 23,000 miles. haven't had hub issues, knock on wood. Thanks for the warning though. It does feel like the shocks are going out though. Sucks, bout those hubs, I'm running bigger tires.