Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   2007 silverado motor oil (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/2007-silverado-motor-oil-11001/)

dmm91 November 12th, 2007 9:49 PM

2007 silverado motor oil

i have a 2007 nbs crewcab. i normally have used valvoline durablend (synthetic/conventional) oil in all my vehicles. do you guys recommend a certain brand or certain kind of oil?

Scoper50 November 12th, 2007 11:04 PM

RE: 2007 silverado motor oil

Everybody has their opinion and own taste as far as motor oil goes. If you want advice on oil do a search for it on this forum. You'll find about a million threads. Please stop beating this horse to death.

bad2006z71 February 22nd, 2008 1:39 PM

Ive been using 5w30 Penzoil Platiunum the last 2 oil changes, im going with Royal Purple 5w30 synthetic with a K&N oil filter. dont mind paying a couple dollars more if i can go a little longer on the oil.

Scoper50: this is a forum, you can ask any question that you want and beat the horse to death, resurect it, then beat it to death again. if you are tired of people asking questions (new or old) stop reading.

have a great day to all.

ehhget February 22nd, 2008 1:43 PM

Yeah I agree, I think you should be able to ask a question if you have one. That is how new info gets out there :):):).
I like Penzoil, but I have heard a lot of good about Royal Purple but last time I checked it is really expensive.

bad2006z71 February 22nd, 2008 1:51 PM

Yea i kind of had "sticker shock" when i saw the price here $7.28 for RP and $6.18 For penzoil, but Penzoil does not recommend extended oil drains at all. RP emailed me back and said after warrenty is out (saves there butt's) they recommend 12k-15k or once a year. i wont do that but maybe 6k miles. i only put 10k-12k on the truck a yr anyway.

plus horsepower tv did a show a couple of years ago and by changing out the fluids to RP got like 10hp to the rear wheels. not to shabby. if its good enough for an F-18 its good for the ole Z71

ehhget February 22nd, 2008 2:14 PM

Hmm.. I thought RP was even more than that. I might be willing to pay a buck more a qt. Where did you get that pricing from? Also what do you know about the K&N oil filters?

bad2006z71 February 22nd, 2008 2:32 PM

this was from Autozone here in Virginia.
K&N filters (according to an email from the tech support) is ok to use with all regular oils and synthetics plus it has the nut welded on the bottom to help get it off. everytime i have put an oil filter on it seems to just get extremely tight over time. plus it seems like they are made very well. they are expensive though about $12.99 here.

i just did the math for me. i drive roughly 12k miles a yr give or take. if i go 6k miles ona change thats twice a year at $119 a year for Royal purple (filter and oil)

regular Pennzoil would be @ 4k miles: $97.23 (oil and filter)
regular Pennzoil would be @ 3k miles: $129.64 (oil and filter)

so its not a dramatic increase to get better protection from a synthetic and maybe HP/MPG gains (if the hype is true). my 06 is horrible on gas so im willing to try somethings to make it better.

but its not everyone's cup of tea.

ehhget February 22nd, 2008 2:34 PM

I just emailed RP with a few questions. I will post the answers once I hear back. See ya buddy.

bad2006z71 February 22nd, 2008 2:55 PM

Cool, they were pretty timely on responding to my emails, i think around a 48hr turn around. what did you ask them?
by the way what mods do you have on your 01 and what kind of city mpg are you getting?

ehhget February 22nd, 2008 3:42 PM

Mods- K&N CAI, Flowmaster original 40 single in dual out, hypertech programmer, 4" suspension lift, 33" MTR goodyears... hmmmm mileage, whats that??? LOL
I already heard back from Royal Purple already, very interesting. I'm pasting the answersbelow and Im gonna start a new thread "Royal Purple weighs in on oil questions" to share the info with everyone. My questions are followed by their answers, later.
1) Do you recommend a particular oil filter?

You are welcome to use the filter of your choice, as we do not have one we fell is better than others. Some of us here use Wix, [/b]NAPA[/b] Gold, K&N, Mobil 1, or OEM filter[/b]

2) Which viscosity do you recommend? My vehicles manufacturer recommends 5w30 but I live in Arizona where it is very hot and I have always used 10w30.

You can use either RP 5w30 or RP 10w30. Your radiator will keep your car cool, and our oil will also help reduce the operating temperature of your vehicle.[/b]

3) I see you recommend up to 12 months between changes. One of my cars I use very seldom and maybe put 500 miles/ year on it. If I start the vehicle on a regular basis to bring it up to operating temperature to combat moisture forming inside the engine can I extend the time between changes?

Since you do not drive you car that often you can go 2 -3 years with a filter change and oil top off every year before you store the car. We do not recommend starting the car unless you plan to drive it. Starting and bringing the car to temp. does not mean the oil is at a high enough temperature to burn off any moisture or fuel that could be in the oil. If you start the car you should drive the car, to avoid adding to the moisture, which is a by-product of combustion. It is safer to let the car sit for 3months then it would be to start it every month.[/b]
[/b]
Here is our recommendation for how often you should change your oil in your other cars-[/b]

How often should I change Royal Purple in my passenger car? [/b][/ul]
Royal Purple recommends following the manufacturer’s maintenance intervals while the vehicle is under factory warranty. In clean engines that are no longer under warranty, oil change intervals may be extended up to every 12,000 miles or annually, whichever comes first. Oil filter changes should be done as recommended by the filter's manufacturer and oil should be topped off as needed.
In dirty engines, Royal Purple recommends the standard 3,000 to 5,000 mile oil and filter change interval until the engine oiling system is clean and free of deposits left by lower quality oils and / or poor maintenance or mechanical problems. This will allow time to gradually remove existing deposits without overloading the oiling system. Mechanical problems such as fuel dilution, coolant leaks into the crankcase, poor air filtration and / or failure to maintain proper oil level are all detrimental factors to the service life of any engine oil. Any one of these factors can significantly shorten the useful service life of any oil.