Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 Silverado Auto Lock Disable, Mandatory or Not?

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2011, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Silverado Auto Lock Disable, Mandatory or Not?

Anyone tired of the Auto Door Locks? I am more to the point I'm tired of the lock actuator failing. My 2008 silverado has had four lock actuator replaced under warranty. This has not been a huge problem but my warranty is running out and now it will be out of my pocket. I have found on this forum a document from 2008 explaining how to have a dealer update the BCM. I asked the dealer about this and they say that it is mandated that the doors lock auto, and they cannot change it. Does anyone know if this is now mandated by the govt? Anyone with the knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.

I guess my reasoning is this. From what I can tell the lock actuator life span does not seem to be very long. I am trying to avoid this activating a dozen times or so a day, maybe they will last longer.

Last edited by oldfireman0471; April 15th, 2011 at 3:54 PM. Reason: To finish my paragraph
Old April 15th, 2011, 3:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Does your DIC have the buttons or are you able to the stalk in your instrument panel to interact with your DIC? If you have the DIC with buttons then you can program this feature off for the Automatic Door Unlock. The Automatic Door Locking feature can only be changed not turned off. I hope this helps you. For reference I found this information in section 3 on page 78.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 15th, 2011, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your input. I do have the DIC buttons I have three choices. 1st Out of Park. 2nd At Speed, and 3rd No Change. I assumed the 3rd meant no change to current lock position. And I was wrong. My sales rep stated no that means No Change to current setting in the DIC, Basically NO change means no from selection 1 or 2 in the DIC. Which is exaclty what is happening. I have tried to change dozens of times.

Anyone out there have a current model Ford or Dodge etc.....do they have the auto locks? Is this mandatory that all vehicles lock now. I havent paid attention to any new vehicles I have ridden in.
Old April 15th, 2011, 5:30 PM
CF Active Member

It is not an option in my 2009 expedition. The expedition does not lock the doors by itself. I also have an 08 Silverado and your correct you cannot disable the auto door lock. However, I would imagine you CAN unplug the wire that engages the door lock. If I guess right (and this is a BIG guess) there should be three wires going to the actual door lock servo. a ground and a positive for lock and a positive for unlock. if you pulled the wire form the harness that locked the door, you would not have power door lock for that door only. I was contemplating this for the drivers door. I can easily slap the door lock down when I leave. I could then unlock the door with the key fob since that wire would still be hooked up. Again this is just a guess as I have not looked into it.