Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2008 Silverado, Big Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2011, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Silverado, Big Electrical Problems

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2008 silverado LTZ Crew Cab Vortec Max about a month ago certified used with only 34,000 miles on it. Everything was fine with the truck until one day I tried to start it and it cranked like normal until it got to the point to where it would normally start and then the starter started grinding and the motor was kind of half started like it was missing. took it to the dealership and the couldn't find anything wrong with it. Four days go by with no prbolems and now I try to start it this morning and the same thing happens except for now there is rapid electrical ticking sound comming from under the hood and the gauges start flashing at the same pace as the ticking sound. I shut the key off and tried to start it again and the starter made the grinding noise and it did start. It drives fine after it is started and there are no other electrical issues that I have noticed while driving. I am at a loss, please help
Old August 17th, 2011, 1:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I can also look into this for you. In order to do more research, I will need some more specific information from you such as your name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me either on the thread or via private message. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Old August 17th, 2011, 3:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by BZ Man
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2008 silverado LTZ Crew Cab Vortec Max about a month ago certified used with only 34,000 miles on it. Everything was fine with the truck until one day I tried to start it and it cranked like normal until it got to the point to where it would normally start and then the starter started grinding and the motor was kind of half started like it was missing. took it to the dealership and the couldn't find anything wrong with it. Four days go by with no prbolems and now I try to start it this morning and the same thing happens except for now there is rapid electrical ticking sound comming from under the hood and the gauges start flashing at the same pace as the ticking sound. I shut the key off and tried to start it again and the starter made the grinding noise and it did start. It drives fine after it is started and there are no other electrical issues that I have noticed while driving. I am at a loss, please help
Sounds like a loose connection to me. I would look at the starter.

Last edited by kevinkpk; August 17th, 2011 at 3:16 PM. Reason: I would look at the starter
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the positive battery cable end at the battery. That was the trouble with my '08. Looked great from the outside but it was burned inside the crimp.
Old August 24th, 2011, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's still a little early to tell if I fixed it or not, but on Sunday I took a look at the starter and the connections looked pretty dirty and starting to corrode so I unhooked the battery and unhooked two of the three connections at the starter (couldn't get the farthest back connection off) and cleaned them up with a wire brush and hooked everything back up and so far so good. It's been four days now without a problem, but as intermittent as the problem was happening I am reluctant to say it's fixed yet.