Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 23rd, 2015, 5:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado cruise control is not working

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2013, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Just a FYI
On my 08 Silverado LTZ the Cruise Control would not engage when temp got below about 60 (I live in FL). The light on steering wheel would lite,but it would not engage. Worked great when it was warm/hot out.

I unplugged the harness from the brake light switch on the brake pedal and squirted it with contact cleaner and swiveled it up and done with out taking the switch out. That exercized the spring a bunch of times and it has worked great since (one winter, two summers).

Maybe the switch gets dirt in it and does not fully release.
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up 2008 silerado cruise control

Just wanted to say that by removing the brake switch and cleaning the contacts with electrical cleaner and reassembeling , the cruise control now works as advertised, thanks for the help.
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisa Crawford
Just wanted to say that by removing the brake switch and cleaning the contacts with electrical cleaner and reassembeling , the cruise control now works as advertised, thanks for the help.
Welcome to the forum
Thanks for taking the time to join and share your fix, glad to hear it worked for you
Old October 28th, 2013, 6:42 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisa Crawford
Hello Lisa,

Welcome to the Chevrolet Forum! I am glad forum members were able to help resolve your cruise control concern. If additional questions or concerns arise, please contact us. We are here to assist!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 20th, 2013, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cruise control just went out on my 2008 Silverado. I knew nothing about the break switch so I will try that this weekend. I've always been a Chevy guy, but it's unreal all the issues I've had with this truck. Replace 4 door locks (1 not under warranty) replace the sunroof because of a leak (under warranty) replace cracked dashboard (not under warranty) now this. Seems like a lot of problems for a truck that's supposed to be "like a rock"
I love the truck but man!
Old March 5th, 2014, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2008 with the same issue. Come to think of it, it does disengage when I hit a bump in the road or tap the side of the brake pedal. Certianly worth checking into. Thanks to everyone for your insight...going to check mine.
Old March 6th, 2014, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

hey all I have a 2009 silverado LTZ Z-71 4x4 i have the same issues the CC and the power mirrors. Im going to check into the brake switch. thanks all will give you a sit rep on mine after.
Old March 6th, 2014, 9:59 AM
Official GM Rep

Hello GEJetMan,

I am sorry to hear of the cruise control concern you are experiencing. I see you are going to look into this issue on your own, but if you would like to work with your dealership, please let us know. We are more than happy to assist throughout that process. Send us a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and current mileage, so we can further discuss your situation.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 4th, 2014, 4:25 AM
CF Beginner

HI, I'm having same problem.2008 Silverado 4x4 5.3 cruise stop working. Bought 2 switches this week thinking maybe I got a bad one the first time but nope Cruise still does not work. Set light comes on but that's it.Just drove from Florida to Delaware and it worked for 300 miles out of 1,100,man I miss it.Any other suggestion's.Thanks
Old April 5th, 2014, 1:40 PM
Official GM Rep

Hello krcoker,

I understand your situation is disheartening and I apologize for the inconvenience. I understand you are seeking opinions and thoughts from other forum members, but if you are willing to have your local dealership look into this for you, please let us know. We can be reached via private message to further discuss your situation and assist you while working with your dealer.

Regards,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado cruise control is not working