Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 5:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado cruise control is not working

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2014, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can put your toe under the brake pedal and lift slightly will your CC stay engaged?
Try it and advise please.
Old April 6th, 2014, 7:00 AM
CF Beginner

Tried pulling on brake and still nothing. Has to be something stupid because it works when it wants to. Like I said after 2 switches nothing.
Old April 6th, 2014, 7:02 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Laura
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2008 Silverado with the very same issue. Replaced the switch and still nothing. disassembled the old one to see how it works - tested the new one and verified its functioning as intended. What next?
Old May 10th, 2014, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cruise issues

I have a 2009 Silverado LTZ, and it too, is having intermittent cruise control problems.

Once it works, it works fine, but it is truly day to day, and seems to continue to work less often.

I find it frustrating that GM folks get on Forum and send private messages for fixes or suggestions instead of posting to forum.

I haven't heard of anyone replacing the actual cruise control switch, but instead are replacing the brake light switch. Is this accurate?

The suggestion of taking it to the dealership is also a little offensive. The reason there are so many auto repair places other than dealerships is the outrageous prices most dealerships charge.

Suggestions appreciated, but it seems that this is a flaw in the design or parts to fail.

Thanks to all,

ken

Last edited by Ken_4fun; May 10th, 2014 at 9:09 AM.
Old May 10th, 2014, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Even at this point id take anything other than "take it to the dealership" - Went on a trip with it today and the traction control system was giving errors but only at highways speeds. stop, turn off, turn back on and it was ok until 45-50 MPH, then it would start complaining again.
Old May 14th, 2014, 7:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default brake light switch

I have a 09 Silverado.cruise didn't work all the time .Replced brakelight switch been woking ever since.
Old May 15th, 2014, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Able to get by

All -

I haven't posted for a few days, but I tried the trick of pulling the brake petal up while engaging the cruise control and it has worked without fail. I wanted to try it several days before I could say with confidence that is working.

I haven't got under to understand the switch configuration, but I am wondering if I have a weak return spring on petal that doesn't pull it up fully.

Once I know better I will post again, but wanted to share my experience.

Ken
The following users liked this post:
Winrn925 (February 27th, 2020)
Old May 15th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken_4fun
All -

I haven't posted for a few days, but I tried the trick of pulling the brake petal up while engaging the cruise control and it has worked without fail. I wanted to try it several days before I could say with confidence that is working.

I haven't got under to understand the switch configuration, but I am wondering if I have a weak return spring on petal that doesn't pull it up fully.

Once I know better I will post again, but wanted to share my experience.

Ken
Thanks for the follow up! It might not be a weak return of the brake pedal but a weak spring inside the brake switch itself... the switch controls the cruise control, brake lights and several other brake status items....
Nutshell I'd replace the switch...
The following users liked this post:
Winrn925 (February 27th, 2020)
Old May 16th, 2014, 5:44 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Thanks for the follow up! It might not be a weak return of the brake pedal but a weak spring inside the brake switch itself... the switch controls the cruise control, brake lights and several other brake status items....
Nutshell I'd replace the switch...
Yes, I understand if their isn't any other way to get it working consistently.

I don't have a problem replacing the switch, whatever it costs, but I would hate to replace it (cost, effort, time) and it not correct the problem.

Trying to share my experiences with the forum, not as an expert, but just as someone trying to get it working properly without spending money on things that did not work, or other wasted money. If I can help someone hopefully karma will help me.

Regards to all,

Ken

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado cruise control is not working