Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 23rd, 2015, 5:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado cruise control is not working

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2016, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine too

I just bought a 2008 Chevy Silverado LTZ and its doing the same thing. I noticed on the drive home that the CC wouldn't work so I took it back to the dealership and they fixed it. Up until just now it was working fine but I was driving on the highway and when I pushed the brake pedal in and then I tried to get the cruise control to work again it won't work again and I've only had this truck for a month. Plus it's a work truck that I use a lot on the highway. I don't know what to do help please!
Old April 8th, 2016, 3:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by James Jeffries
I just bought a 2008 Chevy Silverado LTZ and its doing the same thing. I noticed on the drive home that the CC wouldn't work so I took it back to the dealership and they fixed it. Up until just now it was working fine but I was driving on the highway and when I pushed the brake pedal in and then I tried to get the cruise control to work again it won't work again and I've only had this truck for a month. Plus it's a work truck that I use a lot on the highway. I don't know what to do help please!
Hello James Jeffries,

I certainly understand your desire to reach a resolution for this concern. Are you planning on taking the vehicle back to the dealership? If so, we're happy to provide an extra layer of assistance while your Silverado is being serviced. Feel free to contact us directly within a private message. Should you send an inquiry, be sure to include the name of the certified Chevrolet dealership, your VIN, mileage, and contact information as well.

Thanks!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 4th, 2016, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Solved

The problem with the cruise control is on the Break light switch. There are 2 sets of contacts. One turns on the breaklights, The other disables the cruise control when you hit the break and also engages the trailer break. The second set has a tendency to get stuck in the closed position telling the computer to engage the breaks for the trailed and disable the CC. Replace the switch and your problem should be fixed. Around $16 for the part at Most local auto parts stores.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Possible solution!

My cruise control wasn't working. It would work at times and not others. When it did work and I hit the brakes it wouldn't work again. However, for some random reason I pulled the brake pedal out with my foot before I hit set and it worked! It has worked for me every time. All I do is before setting the cruise is pull on the back of the brake pedal with my foot and it sets. Maybe this will for y'all as well!
Old August 15th, 2016, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cruise control problem fixed.

Originally Posted by in2pro
I think all new body style vehicles the cruise is controlled by the BCM, however you could check to make sure there is not a switch on the brake peddle that is stuck or not operating. The cruise will not activate if it thinks the brakes are being applied...
My truck has 190,000 miles on it… Never really had a problem with the cruise control I'm going on the 900 mile trip today and for some reason my cruise control freaked out and stopped working… After reading this response I pounded on the break a few times and boom it is working again thank you!
Old October 21st, 2016, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default A/c problem

Originally Posted by ccook
We just got back from the beach last night and the problems persist. Now the climate control is mulfunctioning. It blows cold air on the passenger side and hot air on the driver side. I had both sides set on 60. Im going to contact the guy that sold me the truck at the dealership and see if they can take it in today. Thanks for your help Elizabeth. Is there an email I can use to keep you up to date with or will you regularly check this thread? Thanks again. Carlton
I had the same problem and looked on youtube and they said to pull the 2 hvac fuse under the hood leave off for 10 mins and put them back in and it ahould fix itself all it does is reset the computer for hvac i just pulled the fuses and put the right back in and it fixed the problem hopefully this hepls you
Old March 18th, 2017, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cruise button not working nor lighting

I'm having an issue with my 2008 Chevy Silverado LS 1500, I've been having it for a about 6 months. And my cruise button is not working nor lighting up. I've read some comments on how it usually doesn't work but the light comes on. When I looked inside the steering wheel, everything seemed normal. No wires were messed with, nor looked abnormal. Wanted to see if there were any suggestions on what to do?
Old March 28th, 2017, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default I had to change the brake light switch.

I changed out the brake light switch and it started working again. Now mine has gone ut again, new switch, new tbi and it still doesn't work. No codes are coming up.
Old May 16th, 2017, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

My 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD is doing the samething!!! What do i need to do????
Old August 27th, 2017, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by crwalker2
I have a 2008 Silverado LT, 2WD, 5.3L. Over the past few months my cruise control has worked and not worked for no apparent reason. Some days I would get in it to go to work and the cruise would work normally and if I had to hit the brakes for any reason it may or may not come back on at all. Now we're to the point where it doesn't work at all anymore. The on/off switch still lights up and I have checked all the fuses. I have no idea where to begin.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-try replacing the brake switch. Same problem with my 07, replaced the brake switch and all is well now. I pulled the old switch apart and the cruise side contacts were fused together, so the brake switch deactivation was always on. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado cruise control is not working