Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 silverado dash panel

Old February 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 silverado dash panel

I found the OnStar module on my 2008 Silverado and I want at it's antenna for testing so that I might use it for my GPS navigator. Ya I know OnStar has driving directions, I have a visual interface and I don't have to talk to someone to get directions and I don't have to pay for it.

Anyways, I tried pulling the center lower dash panel to get access to the OnStar module and I was unsuccessful at removing that panel. Does anyone know the trick to removing this panel, I know it has those clips that seem to hold the rest of the dash on but I can't seem to get them to release. Any hints would be appreciated.
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 2008 silverado dash panel

you you have the radio and hvac controls out, you have taken enough apart to remove the VCIM(onstar Module). There are two plastic clips on the left and right side of the vcim, relase those clips as you pry up the front of the module with a screwdriver. Its a bit of a pain but its do-able. Also you might try going in from the rear of the dash from the passenger side, and unplug the connectors. The should be anough harness there to be able to do your testing.

I must say though, that by removing the GPS antenna from the VCIM, not only will the red light be on, but if you were ever in an accident, onstar would not know where to send the emerency crews to come help you. Also if your truck is ever stolen, Onstar would not be able to assist the police in finding your vehicle.
Old February 9th, 2008, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Possible OnStar mightstep in"thinking" something has happened to you and/or your truck/? Is there a Terms Of Agreement not to tamper? Good luck and take your time "peeling" the dash apart. Duct tape looks like crap on the interior.
Old February 9th, 2008, 2:41 PM
CF Junior Member

If they say I can't disable my OnStar when I'm paying for it, they can eat it. As far as tracking it down, I'm not that worried about it. And I'll just kill power to the module which will get rid of the red light.

It sounds like it's pretty involved getting that panel off, I guess I'll invest in a nice set of long needle nose pliars.

EDIT: Also in regards to an accident and OnStar not being able to help, my other Silverado got totaled and there wasn't a peep from OnStar, granted the airbags didn't deploy. And also being in a Silverado I'd have to be in a terrible accident to not be able to use 1 of my 2 cell phones to call for emergency services. There's always a possibility for something to happen, but I drove 1970s cars prior to this, no OnStar.