Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 Silverado frame rust

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2014, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Silverado frame rust

I have a 2008 Silverado 1500 with only 17k on it. It usually sits in garage during the week, and rarely gets out....Ever since I got it I always noticed the annoying rust visible from the wheel wells, but no real big deal...UNTIL today. I really took a look, and OMG, all that factory rubber stuff is peeling back and exposing RUST!! I really would like to keep this truck because it is solid in every other way. Is this a fixable problem, and I wonder how much to fix properly? Or should I get a body shop do a "Band-Aid" and get rid of this vehicle? Anyone have any real time exp. with this issue? Thank you, LT
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

its just surface rust, you can get an undercoating put back on it again. it covers that up.
Old May 12th, 2014, 12:28 PM
CF Active Member

I wouldn't take any chances. Replace that rusty frame with a freshly painted new one.

Either that or contact a rep from Rust-eze Medicated Bumper Ointment.
Old May 12th, 2014, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Whack with a hammer. If it's thin, you will know by the sound. I sand off loose scale on my plow truck and paint/brush on heated chain saw chain oil- very tacky. I do this each Nov. and coat the frame and all rust. Not near exhaust. Let sit overnight with a tarp under the car and then drive down a gravel road/dusty road. Has kept rust to a minimum and I plow. Sometimes I spray some phosphoric acid concrete cleaner on the rust after I have scraped/sanded it down. Let this get to work and them dry. Turns rust black and then I coat with bar oil.
Old May 13th, 2014, 4:16 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi ltvette05,

I’m sorry to hear that your Silverado has rust on it. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will be glad to contact your dealership regarding this concern. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if we can be of any assistance. I look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 13th, 2014, 6:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Under carriages rust. Get over it.

Allan
Old May 14th, 2014, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for nothing. $30000 truck has a ton of rust because undercoat is peeling off is not acceptable. This is a lousy forum!
Old May 14th, 2014, 7:50 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltvette05
Thanks for nothing. $30000 truck has a ton of rust because undercoat is peeling off is not acceptable. This is a lousy forum!

You're a whiner. And, by the way, $30K for a truck is a cheap-azzed truck!

Allan
Old May 14th, 2014, 8:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltvette05
This is not a lousy forum....but the truth can hurt sometimes.

If you were looking for a golden answer for your truck rusting and implying it is a GM thing for causing it,not going to happen.

If you live and drive your truck,or any vehicle for that matter,during the winter where roads are regularly salted..it IS going to rust,no if's and's or butt's.

Being a 2008 model,it has been through at least 5 winters and if it is just now starting to rear it's ugly head,GM did it's job.

Years ago vehicles rusted everywhere almost instantly,vehicle corrosion protection has come a long way...
Old May 14th, 2014, 9:09 PM
CF Active Member

I hate undercoating.

You think it's a lousy forum because no one told you what YOU wanted to hear.

Life must be rough for you.

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado frame rust