Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 Silverado Navigation added, need advice

Old December 22nd, 2009, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Silverado Navigation added, need advice

I have a 08 Silverado LTZ that came with the 6 disc in dash radio, I recently added a nav system out of a 08 suburban, i had the radio unlocked at my dealership and have it hooked up and working, but i think something is missing, the radio and steering wheel controls all work, the map works and xm works, but when you enter a destination it will tell you to begin but it doesn't tell you anymore turns to make until you reach your destination and it tells you that you have arrived, also while you have a address entered, there is a big compass on the right side of the screen that i can not get rid of, map left and compass on right. The map is full screen if it is just in map mode. I only had 2 plugs on back of radio, and one for antenna and 1 for gps antenna.

Please Help,
Old December 22nd, 2009, 6:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey i have not herd yet of a radio with only 2 plugs on the back, that is weird, what if you want back up camara, or what about the vss wire and everything else? where do you plug those?
but most likely the tech didn't program your radio the way is suppossed to, i would go back and ask them if they really know what they are doing! but you know what the answer is going to be.
i installed the navi in my '07 silverado and so far so good, only i'm missing the gps antena so if anyone have an extra one let me know.

Last edited by QUETRANPA; December 22nd, 2009 at 6:05 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 9:27 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

did you follow the instructions as outlined in the HOW TO from the tahoe suburban section?
sounds like a few wires were missed during the install
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

there was only 2 plugs that plugged into the radio, and then it had a blue plug for gps antenna and another plug for radio antenna
Old January 4th, 2010, 6:21 PM
Banned

You need to install the VSS wire at the radio. Read the HOW TO on where to find the wiring
Old March 25th, 2010, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 07 Sierra Sle without bose and purchase a nav unit out of a 07 denali (which I think is the lux version). How can I make this work in my truck?
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, just enter navigation in the search box and you will get a lot of info about it, i got a navi unit from a cadillac and installed it on a '07 silverado w/o bose and it works just fine
Old March 27th, 2010, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

I have searched for more information and found how to program it with the Tech II system. I brought my truck to the dealer, and the tech said that they use an MDI system to program. Every time they try to unlock the hu, He said that it says "connection failed, check connection and retry." I have removed the system several times and it still has that issue. Am I missing something? Does the tech have to use the Tech II system to relearn my vin (using an 06 Monte Carlo)?
Old March 30th, 2010, 7:48 PM
Banned

desertsierra.....absolutely!
the MDI will not work using this method