Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2008 Silverado Rust through Paint

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2009, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2008 Silverado Rust through Paint

I have a White 2008 Silverado (5 months old w/3600Mi.) I gave her a good bath the otherday and upon close inspection I noticed all these little rust spots popping up everyware except on hood and front bumper. Can any one tell me what could cause this foowwee soooo soon in a vehicles life? I am going back to the Dealership were I bouhgt her from but I would like to go there with some info (hopefully to avoid getting the run arround) or also known as the dry end of the stif.y! Please any one with two cents send one of those cents my way. Thank you Josh
Attached Thumbnails 2008 Silverado Rust through Paint-picture-001.jpg   2008 Silverado Rust through Paint-picture-007.jpg  
Old February 23rd, 2009, 5:51 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Have you ever had a white vehicle before? It sounds like the brown pitting that happens in some parts of the country because of Acid Rain. Every white vehicle I've ever owned or seen around these parts has it.... Which is why when I buy new, I go with black or Red. Metallic paint sucks and white pits. I would take it to the dealer just in case but I have feeling they will tell you the same thing
Old February 23rd, 2009, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

I live on Cape Cod MA, but My boss has a fleet of white Ford trucks and vans/newest one being an 04 not one blemish on any of them except road tar and were one of the monkeys backed the Bobcat into one of the trucks.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 9:42 PM
CF Active Member

have you or anyone ever done any cutting or grinding around the truck cause thats what it looks like
Old February 23rd, 2009, 9:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Its rail dust.
As shawnvw said in this post in the Tahoe section, it should have been corrected pre-delivery, but sometimes its not caught.

Originally Posted by shawnvw
The problem should have been corrected during the pre-delivery inspection. You may have a hard time going back on GM for it, but at least this bulletin gives you details on how to remove it...

#05-08-51-008B: Bumps or Rust Colored Spots in Paint Due to Rail or Iron Dust (Remove Rail Dust) - (Apr 23, 2007)

Subject:Bumps or Rust Colored Spots in Paint Due to Rail or Iron Dust (Remove Rail Dust)

Models:1994-2007 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)
2003-2007 HUMMER H2
2006-2007 HUMMER H3
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

This bulletin is being revised to add Saturn models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-08-51-008A (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?d...sm#ss1-1964327

Condition

Visible rust colored spots or bumps on a vehicle's paint surface from rail or iron dust.
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?d...sm#ss2-1964327

Cause

Rail dust comes from tiny iron particles produced from the friction between train wheels and the tracks and gets deposited on the vehicle surfaces. Iron dust can get deposited on the surface if the vehicle is stored near any operation producing iron dust such as a steel ore yard. Either material can lay on top of , or become embedded in , the paint surface.
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?d...sm#ss3-1964327

Correction

Because the severity of the condition varies, proper diagnosis of the damage is critical to the success of repairs. Diagnosis should be performed on horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, deck lid, pick up box, etc.) after the vehicle has been properly cleaned. There are two types of repair materials recommended to repair rail dust or iron dust:
  1. GEL TYPE OXALIC ACID: - Has the characteristics of the liquid type oxalic acid but stays where you put it because of its gel consistency.
  2. CLAY TYPE NON-ACID BASED: - Requires surface lubricant during use.

1. - Has different grades available.
Caution: Rail dust remover (Oxalic Acid) is an acidic substance containing chemicals that will break down the iron particles embedded in the finish. When working with rail dust remover, use the necessary safety equipment, including gloves and goggles. Follow the chemical manufacturer's directions closely because it may require special handling and disposal.

If, upon inspection, some particles are still present, the various chemical manufacturer's processes can be repeated.
After the removal process, small pits may remain in the clearcoat and can be corrected, in most cases, with a finesse/polish operation.
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?d...sm#ss4-1964327

Procedure

1. Move the vehicle to a cool shaded area and make sure that the vehicle surfaces are cool during the removal process. DO NOT PERFORM THE REMOVAL PROCESS IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT OR ON A VEHICLE WITH HOT OR WARM BODY PANELS. Wash the vehicle with soap and water. Dry it immediately and clean the affected areas with a wax and grease remover.
  2. Perform the removal process according to the chemical manufacturer's directions.
Once the damage has been repaired, the final step involves a polishing process.

Use the chemical manufacturers listed below, or equivalent:
Auto Magic® or Clay Magic® products available from:

Auto Wax Company, Inc.
1275 Round Table Dr.
Dallas, TX 75247
(800) 826-0828 (Toll-Free) or (214) 631-4000 (Local)
Fax (214) 634-1342
www.automagic.com
info@autowaxcompany.com
E038 Fallout Gel or E038E Liquid Fallout Remover II available from:

Valvoline Car Brite Company
1910 South State Avenue
Indianapolis, In 46203
(800) 347-2439 (Toll Free) or (317) 788-9925 (Local)
Fax (317) 788-9930
www.carbrite.com
info@carbrite.com
*We believe these sources and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from these firms or for any such items which may be available from other sources.
If rail dust remover is not available in your area, call one of the numbers listed above for a distributor near your location.

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?d...sm#ss6-1964327
Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)

Although rail dust is not the result of any defects in materials or workmanship, General Motors will correct the condition on vehicles during the pre-delivery process.
Important: These labor operations only apply to vehicles shipped by rail.
Old February 24th, 2009, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

i drive a white 2002 dually and it has a couple of those spots on the driver side and i live in northern indiana
Old February 24th, 2009, 5:37 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

From what EvansBlue is saying, maybe this Acid Rain Pitting is only in the Midwest. i'll look into it.
Old February 24th, 2009, 6:10 PM
CF Active Member

Question

You said there was none on the hood. Are you sure it is rust?

I had a 2004 GTO with the RR dust and it had it all over, especially on the hood and top. The county here started using, believe it or not, some kind of a molasses like substance with the salt and sand. Seems it sticks to the road better or something. It causes brown spots on the vehicles, but mainly on the sides, not the hood. It washes off with dawn.
Old February 28th, 2009, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

I have brought the truck back to my dealer ship.... we hashed it over for a while of what the problem was, I kept getting them telling me it was from driving and the sand/pebbles coming off my tires a a high speed thus pitting it. I explained how my former boss has a fleet of white dump truck/pickup trucks/vans Sorry there all Ford. The newest of them is an 04 besides road tar and the one pick up that has a crushed bed (from moron in bobcat) There all flawless in the paint.

I took a half day off of work so I could go by a few detail/body shops. the result {Rail Dust} EvansBlue Right on the button Thank You!

I had to fight tooth and nail to get the Dealership to own up and have it fixed. Finaly after showing them the opinions of the shops that I stoped at :Conclusion There gonna have it fixed next week.

Every one there annoys me except the man that sold me the truck. He is the nicest person in that town.

Every one here Thank you all for your reply's
jzinsser
Old March 12th, 2009, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

i bought a new 07 silverado and 6 months later i seen rust dots in clearcoat they said at the dealer they fixed it but really they just camoflauged it. i talked to a paint shop and they said the only way to fix it was to take clear coat off and respray. dealer said not there problem . i called gm and they said same thing, not under their warranty cause it is where i live it is because the weather, cmon 45000 truck one and a half years old and it looks terrible. my buddy has same truck but one year newer and it started on his allready. so now what?

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Rust through Paint