Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 Silverado Rust through Paint

Old March 12th, 2009, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i too have a new 07 silverado, white. 6 months after i bought it i started seeing dots of rust. the dealer said they fixed it but the spots are coming back through the clear coat. i talked to a reputible paint shop and they said the only way to properly fix was to strip clear coat and respray. and to fight gm to fix the problem. this is crap. 45,000 dollar truck and a year and a half later it looks horrible. i only have 26000 miles on it. my buddy bought an 08 white silveado and his is doing the same thing, now what do we do? i live about an hour south of chicago and they first said it was raildust and now they say its where i live, well gosh darnet they shouldnt sell them then.
Old March 12th, 2009, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 08 siverado in ohio

I PURCHASED MY 08 SELVERADO IN MARCH OF 08 AFTER ABOUT ONE MONTH THE TRUCK STARTED GETTING LITTLE RUST SPOTS ON IT THE DEALER TOLD ME IT WAS RAIL DUST AND RUBBED IT OUT FOR ME I THOUGHT ALL MY PROBLEMS WERE SOLVED BOY WAS I WRONG I THINK THEY HAVE JUST BEGAN ABOUT A MONTH AGO I STARTED SEEING THE SAME THING COMING BACK AGAIN SO I TOOK THE TRUCK BACK TO THE DEALER THIS TIME THEY TOLD ME THE CHEMICALS IN THE SALT ARE CAUSING THE SPOTS AND THEY CAN NO LONGER ASSIST ME WITH THE PROBLEM CALLED AND COMPLAINED BUT GOT NO WERE GM SAID IT IS NOT A WARRANTY PROBLEM THEY OFFEREDTO GIVE ME SOME SERVICE VOUCHERS BUT I REFUISED ITS GOING TO TAKE MORE THAN A VOUCHER TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM IF ANY BODY HAS THE FIX PLEASE DO TELL CAUSE I CAN'T EXCEPT HAVING TO HAVE TRUCK RUBBED OUT EVERY YEAR AND ALSO HOW MANY TIMES CAN THE TRUCK BE RUBBED OUT BEFORE NOTHING IS LEFT
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default rust spots on white chevy truck

The rust colored spots on your truck are actually brake dust particles you pick up when you drive in the they stick to the paint and rust. You do not have to get your clear coat redone to get rid of them just go buy a clay bar as a kit they sell them at any autopart store. They will come back the best way to keep it to a minimum is to wax your truck every couple of months. I have a black and white chevy truck and a gold jeep they all had the same problem so i clay bared and waxed problem solved. I clay bar once a year.
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default rust colored spots

When you drive in the rain
Old March 14th, 2009, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default rail dust

Originally Posted by jzinsser
I have a White 2008 Silverado (5 months old w/3600Mi.) I gave her a good bath the otherday and upon close inspection I noticed all these little rust spots popping up everyware except on hood and front bumper. Can any one tell me what could cause this foowwee soooo soon in a vehicles life? I am going back to the Dealership were I bouhgt her from but I would like to go there with some info (hopefully to avoid getting the run arround) or also known as the dry end of the stif.y! Please any one with two cents send one of those cents my way. Thank you Josh
I bought my wife 97 Red Monte Carlo and if I am sure it is RAIL DUST and it is a bitch to remove if it can be! It is the dust from the train wheels it is hot and burns into the paint. The problem is if bad enough it cannot be removed, they actually wax the car with a bar (forgot the name of it). My wife had her car in almost a dozen times. It would look ok for a couple of washes then come right back. We never got it off and chevrolet would only work this problem about a dozen times until they said No More. It is your responsibility now. We were pissed! The car eventually got overspray from a contracter painting a hanger and we got a large settlement and sold the car. That is how we solved the problem. GOOD LUCK! Hope helpfull.
Old March 16th, 2009, 7:30 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by KAZACSP
I PURCHASED MY 08 SELVERADO IN MARCH OF 08 AFTER ABOUT ONE MONTH THE TRUCK STARTED GETTING LITTLE RUST SPOTS ON IT THE DEALER TOLD ME IT WAS RAIL DUST AND RUBBED IT OUT FOR ME I THOUGHT ALL MY PROBLEMS WERE SOLVED BOY WAS I WRONG I THINK THEY HAVE JUST BEGAN ABOUT A MONTH AGO I STARTED SEEING THE SAME THING COMING BACK AGAIN SO I TOOK THE TRUCK BACK TO THE DEALER THIS TIME THEY TOLD ME THE CHEMICALS IN THE SALT ARE CAUSING THE SPOTS AND THEY CAN NO LONGER ASSIST ME WITH THE PROBLEM CALLED AND COMPLAINED BUT GOT NO WERE GM SAID IT IS NOT A WARRANTY PROBLEM THEY OFFEREDTO GIVE ME SOME SERVICE VOUCHERS BUT I REFUISED ITS GOING TO TAKE MORE THAN A VOUCHER TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM IF ANY BODY HAS THE FIX PLEASE DO TELL CAUSE I CAN'T EXCEPT HAVING TO HAVE TRUCK RUBBED OUT EVERY YEAR AND ALSO HOW MANY TIMES CAN THE TRUCK BE RUBBED OUT BEFORE NOTHING IS LEFT
Being from Ohio where was your truck made? Mine came from Michiagan and rode a truck not the rails. Two years and no rail dust problems.
My 04 GTO did ride the rails and had the rail dust. Why would that not affect all makes of vehicles. Maybe that is why they started covering them with the blue plastic.

Last edited by Old Coot; March 16th, 2009 at 1:56 PM.