Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   2009 Silverado 5.3 oil leak (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/2009-silverado-5-3-oil-leak-102688/)

Fire0645 October 25th, 2020 2:26 PM

2009 Silverado 5.3 oil leak

I have a 2009 silverado with a 5.3 automatic. The entire bell housing and transmission is covered in oil. I checked the bell housing inspection cover and it is dry inside. I looked at the oil sending unit with a mirror and it seems dry. The engine is dry a the fire wall blanket is also dry. Anyone have any ideas?

oilcanhenry October 27th, 2020 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fire0645 (Post 455119)
I have a 2009 silverado with a 5.3 automatic. The entire bell housing and transmission is covered in oil. I checked the bell housing inspection cover and it is dry inside. I looked at the oil sending unit with a mirror and it seems dry. The engine is dry a the fire wall blanket is also dry. Anyone have any ideas?

Might be the tranny vent. Did you overfill it?

Fire0645 October 27th, 2020 8:03 AM

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry (Post 455193)
Might be the tranny vent. Did you overfill it?

it is definitely motor oil and not over filled.

oilcanhenry October 29th, 2020 9:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fire0645 (Post 455206)
it is definitely motor oil and not over filled.

Well then, assuming it's not the oil pressure sensor leaking. This GM service bulletin might be the fix:

GM Service Bulletin: 05-06-01-034J: Engine Oil Leak at Rear Cover Assembly Area

Fire0645 November 5th, 2020 3:10 PM

Update!!

Originally Posted by Fire0645 (Post 455119)

8 of the 11 bolts on the valley cover were not even hand tight. Replaced gasket and torqued and no leaks. Not sure how those bolts go loosened, but they did which also meant the fuel management solenoids were leaking also. There was a lot of oil inside the intake itself.

kevinkpk November 5th, 2020 4:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fire0645 (Post 455662)
8 of the 11 bolts on the valley cover were not even hand tight. Replaced gasket and torqued and no leaks. Not sure how those bolts go loosened, but they did which also meant the fuel management solenoids were leaking also. There was a lot of oil inside the intake itself.

Dud you install lock washers, or lock tite?

Fire0645 November 5th, 2020 4:36 PM

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 455666)
Dud you install lock washers, or lock tite?

no just factory torque spes

oilcanhenry November 5th, 2020 8:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fire0645 (Post 455668)
no just factory torque spes

Tthee things you need to keep on hand, all cheap:

1.Locktitie

2.Dialectical grease

3.Neversieze.

mountainmanjoe November 5th, 2020 9:23 PM

factory torque specs are usually given for "dry" bolts

oilcanhenry November 6th, 2020 1:08 AM

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe (Post 455700)
factory torque specs are usually given for "dry" bolts

Yeap.

I was watching all the automation and installation of Chevy light trucks at Fort Wayne, IN, on YouTube and lots of the parts, even body bolts are installed by robotic machines. Don't know if the engine bolts are, as they had fully assembled motors but back in the day that would have been done by humans not robots.

Feet sorry for the workers as I know that as time passes more things will be done by these robots and not human beings who need a paycheck to live. Then again I recall how awful the spot weld, which are now done by robots, were on my brother's old 1975 Dodge power wagon. He had to have the dealer reweld and paint his new pickup truck but that was ages ago.

Nevertheless, Elon Musk is correct about how robots are stealing our jobs, and he is also afraid of a computer becoming a sentient being and how we humans would even know it happened, unless they go "Terminator" on we mortal humans.