Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 3:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

2010 5.3L Silverado problems.

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2013, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just venting today:

I dropped truck off Monday and declined a rental vehicle. Complex life I have so no rental needed. Truck to be there all week at dealer over 100 miles from my home and I was going to see inlaw in Mexico for few days and wait out repair. ( Like I said very complex life I have now. Mother in law just died 3 weeks ago and all kinds of problems. Truck being my least concern)

Now Wife gets sick with flu and "Cathrro Polaco" or "Montozumas revenge" or the " Runs" or whatever you want to call it.

I called GM customer care about my new crisis to see if they will cover motel for day like $50 for motel 6. It is part of GM plan since I am over 100 miles. I also have GM major guard to cover trip problems more then 100 miles from home. I told lady whole complex problem and said I really don't know what to do since its so complex and unplanned. We need to see her 86 year old father but need to wait a day for the flu to pass. My kids had it last week so I know its last a day. I just needed to know my options.

GM lady tells me that Pistons and Rings are NOT PART OF POWERTRAIN warranty!

I told her I would try to forget she said it but she needed to go check! I would give her a chance to repent!

So she says she will call me back. I make sure she has all my info and blah blah.

She never did call me in 24 hours. So I emailed GM again mad as a fat man robbed of a Krispy Kreme. Yes that mad! I am over weight so I know thats really mad!

I email GM and got a call today from GM CAP saying they were sorry but can't find who talked to me. Like I told them today, I got my problems solved but am mad at the GM lady who never followed up to call me back. Thats what makes me mad is I could tell by her voice she was not going to call me back. Reminded me of the McDonalds employee who kept selling Big Macs and forgot to put the meat on the bun! I knew the McDonalds manager who said he was forced to hire retired US Senators and they allways give him problems.

Moral of the story: If you call GM write the name, time and get a case number and call back number. Or use the email to keep a record.

The poor GM lady working on my GM BB case has to call me every few days. She has been helpfull but I am must be giving her a headache.

Dealer says; The GM field rep is the one who will approve or deny ring replacement in the morning. Depends if last dealer used wrong part on valve cover.

At this point I don't care what they do but if it not fixed this time I may just get my companies lawyer to help me out. Thats too much stress for me with recent death in the family 3 weeks ago.

So thats it today.
Old April 25th, 2013, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

OKED by GM serive rep.
New Pistons and rings going in truck and all other updates possible.
Will get truck back mid week I hope.

So will update in when truck back to me and I drive it a few weeks.
Old May 15th, 2013, 6:20 PM
CF Beginner

Have truck back and 1500 miles on new pistons and rings. 3/4 quart low oil and rough idle came back today.
When I picked it up it ran like the day it was new. I could not feel the engine run at idle it was so smooth.
Now RPM needle starting to go up and down and rough idle mild.
I am very surprised and hope I am wrong but I am starting to think the worst that it will still burn oil, foul the plugs and missfire even after new pistons and everything GM can do.

Truck has about 43,000 miles. I have owned 27 months.

Anyone have recomendations? GM has so far been dealing well with me. I have no problems with there support so far.
But the big IF is: IF it goes bad again what is normal to expect? New 100% engine, buy back, or do they get another 2 weeks to keep truck and repair again?

Anyone have sound advice?

Last edited by MRIBOB; May 15th, 2013 at 9:51 PM.