Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 with rusty bumper

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2011, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 with rusty bumper

I bought a brand new 2010 Silverado extended cab 4x4 on March 31, 2010. In November I noticed a considerable (Very considerable!) amount of rust on the rear bumper (chrome). Also, I have the driver information system (or whatever they call it), and the temperature guage is sometimes severely out of whack. Recently, when temps were in the single digits (Farenheit) it was reading 60F. I've seen it all of a sudden rise by one degree every couple of seconds until it topped out a little over a hundred, then came back down and stopped at something that was way warmer than it really was outside. Other times, it seems to work okay.
On my climate control, I swear you used to be able to turn the temp up to 99 max, and now it only goes up to 90 (although I'm not 100% sure that it used to go up to 99).

Not real happy with GM quality at this point. Anyone else have troubles like this with a new vehicle? The bumper had no scratches, no breach of the surface chrome. I figure it was just poorly prepped before chroming. I hope they'll replace this under warranty.
Old January 26th, 2011, 9:10 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would suggest speaking with your dealership about coverage for your bumper. For rust coverage the warranty is called a Rust Through warranty where the part that is rusting would have to have a hole in it from the rust to be covered and this is for 6 years or 100,000 miles. If this is not the case then I would be unable to be certain whether or not you would get covered for this fix. As far as the temperature readings this should be covered under your 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, under normal circumstances. I hope that helps and if you run into any problems feel free to contact me.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z71 rear bumper rust

My 2010 silverado crew cab $40k truck rear bumper is covered in rust. It's highly concentrated near the tail pipe then gradually fans out across the rest of the bumper. The dealer called it Rail dust from crappy supplier. First thing he asked me was how many miles, 7500. Next he said they remove the rubber from the bumper and clay something or other to remove the surface rust. Doesn't sound like a long term fix to me, friend has same truck no problems with bumper. Here's my plan, leave the rust right were it is and let it rott right through, then they can replace it. Bottom line crappy parts crappy brand crappy company. Over the years I've purchased 4 GM vehicles new. The good ones they retired (Pontiac) Grand prix and Bonny both were flawless. This is the 2nd silverado I purchased, the other was 2000. Dumped it in 2004. Got talked into giving them a second chance by my buddy. Wont happen next time.