Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2010 Silverado problem....

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2010, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Silverado problem....

Hello everybody. I'm obviously new here and signed up here to see if I'm the only one with this issue. First, I do want to say that I'm a Chevy enthusiast as I have had and still have many Chevys. I say this because I'm not in any way trying to bash the Chevy and regardless as to what will happen with my new silverado, I fully intend on sticking with Chevy. With that being said, I purchased my 2010 Silverado 4X4 crew with 5.3L NEW this last September with 60 mi on it. Love the truck but at 1500 mi on cold start up the motor "chattered" loudly for approx 10-15 seconds. This got more frequent and chattered on every cold start up in my driveway (driveway is on a 30 deg or less incline) but not on level ground. Eventually it began doing it on level ground. My dealer said GM put out a bulletin regarding 07-10 models with 5.3L and said they need new lifters. My dealer just last week tore down the motor (4000mi)and installed the lifters. Now my truck smells like antifreeze when it warms up inside and outside of the truck and just two days ago (having only been out of the dealer for two days)began chattering again on cold start up. My dealer stated he would again contact the GM rep but that GM was pretty much "shut down" until the new year and I wouldn't hear back until then. He also told me that he doesn't expect Chevy to do much more with this issue. My thought is they put $2100 into this truck to "fix" the chattering of the lifters once so obviously they were concerned enough with the issue to fix it so would they really come back and say it's normal and wash their hands of it? My 07 Tahoe never made this noise but my 01 Silverado did (not until 105k mi though). Does anybody else have this issue in a new Silverado? If so, what has your dealer been doing with it? Thanks for any info!
Old December 29th, 2010, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Well...oddly enough the motor chattered on cold start up for several days but now for the last 4 days it stopped. Temps here have been cold enough and it just stopped. I don't get it.....I don't know whether to be happy it went away (for now.....sure it will come back) or still angry that my truck had a top end rebuild at 4k miles and stinks like antifreeze.....still will meet with the GM rep next week to discuss all of this I guess.
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Update....noise came back but it once every few days now instead of everyday like before. The antifreeze smell went away (or I'm just used to it now). GM rep comes in on the 20th. Anybody have experience with a buy back/lemon law situation and GM? I still like the truck a lot but am frustrated that I've had all this going on when I bought a new truck to NOT have to deal with all of this...
Old January 25th, 2011, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I was told that they installed the wrong lifters the first time and need to go back in to rebuild the top end again with a newer set of lifters....can't say I'm that excited about a second complete tearing into/rebuilding of the motor at 6k mi.
Old January 25th, 2011, 8:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after reading, I was about to say - you should go back and demand a new rebuild, sounds like they messed up. be sure to get it all documented to cover yourself if something else happens down the road from the wrong lifters being installed on the 2nd go around.
Old January 25th, 2011, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

GM called me and just said basically sorry and "hopefully" this second rebuild will fix it. I'm not crazy about this new motor being torn down twice at all. This will be rebuild #2 and it's been at the dealer for 15 days. I love my Chevy....always been a Chevy guy and always will be. My next truck will be a Chevy and this has in no way made me angry at Chevy.....but I really don't feel good about this particular Chevy and don't want to keep it knowing it's been torn into twice and "may" fix the problem.

Last edited by timjame; February 1st, 2011 at 3:43 PM.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default New Lifters in my 2010 after 7000 mi.

Yep, same in my truck. Only 7000 miles. on it-ticking was REALLY bad in the winter and mellowed out a bit once it got warmer. Took it in and i got the same news-My dealer has been really good during the process (Titus Will Chev in Olympia, WA). I pressed them a bit as i found out that there should be updated lifters installed because of the AFM, and it says on my paperwork that they did install the "updated" version of the lifters. Mine was in for 3 days-they did give me a loaner truck to use (2011) which was nice. I'm hoping and praying that this solves the problem. Read on some forums that guys are disabling the AFM with a tuner, but that it voids the warranty so don't think i'll be going that route....
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I couldn't take it anymore. I am not comfortable with a $40k truck that ticks so early in the mileage and was rebuilt twice....still ticking and the dealer wanting to rebuild it again. I'm the proud new owner of a 2011 Silverado this time with the beast 6.2L motor. I'm getting 2mpg lower with this motor so far (maybe because after the second rebuild my 2010 Silverado lost 1.5 mpg) and I'm getting way better excitement out of the power this one has. I don't care too much about gas mileage though because if I did, I'd have some hybrid, not a truck! More importantly I have no chatter on start up or weird noises. I hope it keeps this way in the colder temps that are right around the corner. I'm happy with it so far and still love my Chevys!!
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

hey timjame-did they put in the "updated" lifters in yours? My truck has no ticking at all since the rebuild and is WAY quiter now-of course its 80 degrees out-it will be interesting to see how it is once it starts getting cold....(also got 20.5 mpg's on my last trip on the highway)
Old September 7th, 2011, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Hey there. They installed the "updated" lifters but they were the wrong stock numbers/wrong ones. So, they went back into it and on the second rebuild they installed the real "updated silent" lifters. Unfortunately it didn't work either. The second rebuild, however, was still in fairly cold weather. As soon as it warmed up, the ticking went away and I had that truck through July-no ticking. End of July I swapped trucks. I hope it will be a different story for you but the warm weather made a large difference. On a side note, I never saw more than 16 MPG after that second rebuild when I was up in that 19-20MPG range before so hopefully they did your lifter change correct. Either way, when that cold weather sets in is where you will see for sure if it worked.

Quick Reply: 2010 Silverado problem....