Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2011 AFM Massive vibration

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2012, 8:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 2011 AFM Massive vibration

I have a 2011 Silverado CC SB with the 5.3 and 6 speed auto. when the Active Fuel Management thing cuts down to V4 mode, the whole truck just has a violent vibration like when your driveshaft isn't balanced but worse. vibration is much worse at around 50-60 mph. Is this normal or is it something i should get checked out?
Old November 27th, 2012, 9:55 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyboy1993
I have a 2011 Silverado CC SB with the 5.3 and 6 speed auto. when the Active Fuel Management thing cuts down to V4 mode, the whole truck just has a violent vibration like when your driveshaft isn't balanced but worse. vibration is much worse at around 50-60 mph. Is this normal or is it something i should get checked out?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> chevyboy1993,

A slight vibration is normal.

When the Active Fuel Management System is enabled, physical changes take place within the engine that allow it to run as a 3 or 4 cylinder motor with accompanying additional fuel savings. The change in exhaust tone is expected as all sound from the exhaust is the result of combustion in the engine. The ability to perceive these changes in sound are kept to very minimal levels as the Active Fuel Management System is only activated during steady state/near steady state driving or during coast down. In both of these situations, the load on the engine is minimal and general exhaust volume (sound) is low.

If you are experiencing more than a slight vibration, I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician.

Please keep us posted. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service