Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2012, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Oil Leak

Bought my Chevy 4.3L V6 in Dec. 2011, oil leak first seen at 2222 miles in Feb. 2012. I am doing the dye and drive routine for two weeks, for the mechanics to find the source of the leak. I have never had a new vehicle that leaked oil. Come to think of it, they never leaked oil while I owned them...but I have never owned a Chevy. "Like a Rock, That Leaks Oil, La La La." You can guess that my confidence in Chevrolet quality control is low. See my post at silveradov6.blogspot.com/

It is now July 2014 and the oil leak has returned, 33500 miles. Same leak and same spot. About 2 years and 4 months after the repair to end all repairs. It is a design flaw. I am sure the dealer will fix it but traveling to the repair shop is not my idea of quality.Same old stuff. I do not think this poorly engineered match up, one size fits all design can ever be sealed properly. It is simply bad manufacturing from GM.

I had the same leak repaired starting at 2220 miles in Feb. 2012. I noticed it 2 months after buying the truck new in Dec. 2011. It had been leaking for a while. The seal let go again at around 33500, that is when I noticed it dripping on the ground this week.
I wonder what BS I will hear from the dealer this time.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Oil Leak-dsc07513.jpg   2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Oil Leak-img_1104.jpg  

Last edited by Wade Quick; July 4th, 2014 at 2:08 PM. Reason: update issue
Old February 17th, 2012, 3:42 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Wade Quick,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble with your Silverado. I hope your dealer is able to find the source of the leak. Please keep me posted.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Is the casting mismatch shown in the picture, surrounded by the oil leak, just on my 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 V6 regular cab WT model or is it a common GM engineering practice? It makes me want to vomit that I bought this thing.
Old February 20th, 2012, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default For Customer Support, Service Request 71-1037811684

The dealer did not have the parts for the repair, after having me drive around for two weeks with dye in the engine oil, wasting fuel and money on this turkey. Service writer says that it is a leak in the oil pan gasket.
Old February 20th, 2012, 8:48 PM
CF Veteran

things break and seals leak, if you can find a perfect vehicle by all means keep it forever and brag all you can
Old February 21st, 2012, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

I hope that this is not the opinion of the Chevrolet Customer Service or Engineering department.
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Wade Quick
The dealer did not have the parts for the repair, after having me drive around for two weeks with dye in the engine oil, wasting fuel and money on this turkey. Service writer says that it is a leak in the oil pan gasket.
Thank you for posting your Service Request number, Quick Wade. I see that your agent, Hope, wanted to have the oil consumption test completed before moving forward (was scheduled to come up yesterday). From this post, it seems you and your dealership have located the source of the leak, and I apologize that the parts were not available for you right away. One of the communications in the case was an email from you in which you included your blog link, and I see that you are traveling extensively and I realize how much of an inconvenience this would be for you.

I will be notifying Hope of this post and will recommend that she contact your dealership. I would do so myself, but as she has ownership of the case need to allow her to continue assisting.

All the best,
Sarah (In for Louis)
GM Customer Service
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for reply. I do appreciate the effort of the dealership and Chevrolet Customer Service. I really do like my Siverado, it is a beautiful vehicle that is a pleasure to drive. Let us hope that the oil pan gasket fixes the problem.
Old February 21st, 2012, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

I will start out by saying that Jessup Auto Plaza, the service department and all of the employees at this dealership are honest, qualified people. They completed the oil pan gasket repair work, checked all fluid levels, left the engine compartment clean as new, filled my tank with gas and washed my truck. They are dedicated to customer support and aware of the hardship, unintended warranty work can cause.

I simply have no faith in the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 V6 4.3L engine and transmission, mismatched, bolt on engineering. There is oil sprouting from the mismatch hole in my most recent pictures. This is after the twenty mile drive from the dealership. Could be some slop left over from the repair work that worked its way down, I can imagine there are voids they cannot get to where the original oil went aleakin'. That is my hope but it looks bad, so far.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Oil Leak-img_4959.jpg   2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Oil Leak-img_4960.jpg   2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Oil Leak-dsc07521.jpg  
Old February 21st, 2012, 5:42 PM
CF Active Member

Oil goes every which way when it's leaking like that. Give it some time and it will clear up. Just keep an eye on the oil level to make sure it's not an actual leak from somewhere else.

On the 4.3, I've never had one in a full size truck, but had a couple in S10 and minivan and it was a great motor.

Quick Reply: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Oil Leak